Drawer catching on other drawer handle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 kitchen drawers in a corner at 90 degrees to each other and have to replace the handles due to failure of the metal. I can’t buy the same handles any more but the replacement ones catch the other drawer by about 2mm. I have altered the drawer front adjustment to its max deflection. Any ideas..can I put a small wedge at the front of the drawer runner to push it across as it’s opened? I don’t really want to redrill the drawer front fittings or embed the handles deeper into the drawer fronts.( Photo shows the old hinged handles, the new handles are waisted flat-bow handles)

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could grind/file down the handle where it sits against the drawer front. Or trim the left side of the drawer that is pulled out and touch up with matching paint, 2mm will show but you will get used to it. Or get slimmer handles. A wedge will distort the path of the drawer and lead to sticking and ultimately mis alignment.

They are a very high gloss lacquer which can split when you try and drill into it….i think they are 1980’s fronts. I might try and create a small hemisphere on the side of the drawer using sandpaper wrapped/glued around a dowel held in a drill and gently present the edge of the drawer front to sand away some material…then some plasticote to finish the (almost unseen) raw wood.

Sponsored Links
If these aren't the only two of those handles left, move the wrong handle to a different drawer where it doesn't catch on another drawer.
How about a picture of the wrong handle? 2mm isn't a lot of meat to lose off the drawer-facing side of it.
Like you, I'd be reluctant to cut in to the lacquered surface. I'm sure it's doable with great care, but still...

I am 50% there...one side was doable by adjusting the Hafele horizontal adjustment....just the other side to do which will need some surgery, care and patience.

Attachments

• 20240111_134354.jpg
    20240111_134354.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for all the suggestions. I used a 10mm Ali oxide grinding wheel I had in my Dremel kit…seems to have sorted the problem. Just need to touch up some white lacquer to camouflage it a bit. . The units are nearly 40 years old...and it's not noticeable enough to worry about.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpeg
    IMG_0960.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back