Drayton and Nest combination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just moved into a new build that has a Worcester Bosch boiler, huge water tank next to it, a Drayton LP111 control and a Nest thermostat. There were no instructions when we moved in and it appears that whatever the Nest thermostat says or whatever you do with it, it doesnt actually control the boiler. We are currently using the Drayton box to control the heating but that's right upstairs (3rd floor) and is a pain to keep going up to override it when it's extra cold like now. What setting should the Drayton be on to be influenced by the Next thermostat downstairs......."once" or "timed" or something else? I have set up times on the Nest using the Schedule function but that doesn' seem to control when it comes on. But it's not saying it's not connected in any way. It gives a temp reading but says it's off when the boiler is running. Anybody help me here?

Sponsored Links
By the sounds of it the nest isn’t controlling the upstairs part of the house.

New builds have to have 2 heating zones installed and hence you need 2 nests one per zone.

You will probably find that the nest is controlling the downstairs and the Drayton is doing the upstairs.

The 2 controllers don’t talk to eachother they are completely separate

Hard to say without actually seeing the installation but it might be worth asking the builder or getting an electrician or heating engineer out to have a look and explain how the system is plumbed/wired

The Nest is capable of controlling both hot water and central heating. So why there is also a Drayton single channel timeswitch wired in is a bit of a puzzle.

Another puzzle is according to the building regulations new builds should have zoned heating control (ie one zone for living areas, and one for bedrooms) so there should be another thermostat somewhere else.

You can download manuals for the Nest thermostat here.

Of course, it may be possible that the "huge water tank" is actually a thermal store and the the Drayton LP111 controls the firing up of the boiler to heat up the thermal store, and then the Nest controls the operation of the heating. That way the Nest will only be controlling the circulation of the water around the radiators, and not the boiler. If you have the LP111 set to be 'on' and the Nest Thermostat turned down, do the radiators go cool?

Other than that, only the person that wired it up will be able to inform you what each piece of equipment is actually controlling. Is it possible that the Nest is controlling one of the heating zones and the hot water, and the Drayton LP111 is wired up to a separate thermostat for a second heating zone?

Thanks Stem. That's one thing I haven't tried. Putting it to On and seeing if the Nest then takes over. Will try that next

Sponsored Links
No joy. It appears I now just have a fancy looking thermometer on the wall that thinks it's in control but is doing nothing. I have the house build company coming in tomorrow for their 1 week snagging inspection, 6 weeks after we've moved in!. Will raise it with them and hopefully get an engineer on the case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back