Drayton controls - water ok, but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have an old system boiler with a slightly more modern drayton controller and thermostat. Water is being heated fine (some pipe noise but nothing major)
Tried heating and it turns on (not selecting timed) at the controller with yellow light but the boiler isn't firing. Thermostat has been turned up and I can hear a click when it goes above room temperature.
Any ideas what the issue might be??

Sponsored Links
If everything else is definitely working as it should, I’d be looking towards the motorised valve. Do you have any test equipment?

If everything else is definitely working as it should, I’d be looking towards the motorised valve. Do you have any test equipment?
Unfortunately not, I'm also not very familiar with system boilers. Had planned on changing it out to a combi or maybe a heat pump but for now, we're using it as just moved in. I'm yet to bleed the rads but can't see that causing a problem like this

I'm yet to bleed the rads but can't see that causing a problem like this
Actually you’d be surprised, however if hot water isn’t working I doubt it would be an air lock, although not impossible. Do the radiators need bleeding? Have a look at the motorised valve, it might have a detachable (replaceable) head, if unsure, post a photo of cylinder cupboard

Sponsored Links
The Drayton controller and thermostat are basically just simple switches.
If you remove them from their back plates, a temporary link can be made to bypass the controller.
If you still have the same problem, you have at least ruled out a problem with the controls.
As @CBW says, it's well worth investigating the motorised valves.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Okay will check tomorrow. Sorry the motorized valve is with the water cylinder or part of the boiler? Everything else (as in water) works well

With the cylinder usually
Ta. Would you still be thinking it's this valve even though the boiler is not firing up?

Will check tomorrow and also bleed to system to rule that out

Ta. Would you still be thinking it's this valve even though the boiler is not firing up?

Will check tomorrow and also bleed to system to rule that out
Yes, the boiler fires up when the valve microswitch is activated when the motor drives open, which then sends a switch live to the boiler to fire up for that particular demand.

Attached a pic of the water cylinder. Like I say, this system is old and will be replaced soon, but for now, would love to get this working

Attachments

• PXL_20230918_092531904.jpg
    PXL_20230918_092531904.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Attached a pic of the water cylinder. Like I say, this system is old and will be replaced soon, but for now, would love to get this working
Ok, so you don't have a motorised valve, you have a thermal store with twin pumps. Could be that one if the pumps isn't sending a signal, but I'm out if my depth as I don't know how these work

no problem. If anyone has any other thoughts, I'm all ears! I've fiddled with the boiler gauge (ideal classic 0-6, recommends 3/4 during summer, 5/6 in winter) but no joy.
Don't see any other controls other than a red reset switch on side of the boiler which Im dying to press, but won't yet :)
Yet to take cover of thermostat to check thats OK, but it clicks at room temp, so it seems it :-/

There'll be a few who's familiar with your setup, might just take them a day or 2 to respond

With a thermal store for the heating to work the hot water has to be turned on too, you can't have heating on on it's own.
Depending on which controller you have it would usually be set to gravity mode so when you select heating it automatically turns hot water at the same time.

With a thermal store for the heating to work the hot water has to be turned on too, you can't have heating on on it's own.
Depending on which controller you have it would usually be set to gravity mode so when you select heating it automatically turns hot water at the same time.
Controller is Drayton LP522. There are settings both water and central heating to be run independently of one another, including timers for each, so the above would be massively surprising if true.
I'm not seeing gravity mode of any kind. I've also turned on the CH with the water ( so the boiler fires up) but the heating is not working

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back