Drayton Digistat+ room thermostat - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had this fitted for approx. 3 years (it's the bog standard, wired, non-RF, battery operated model) and, as far as I recall, it's always had the well-documented fault of indicating 1-2 degrees above what the room temperature actually is. I could live with that, if that was the only issue. But it also has the habit of calling for heat for a short time (6 minutes or less?) then turning off - and this process seems to repeat a few times. Also, we occasionally find its made the house either too hot or too cold. I've read elsewhere (but not fully understood) that the switching on and off is part of its "learning process". This drives my wife mad - which then drives ME mad!! She's got into the habit of turning the thermostat up and down manually to achieve the temperature she wants - and I think that doing this messes up its learning process, which is why we end up with a too-hot or a too-cold house.

Does anyone understand how this unit works - and can they explain it to me - before we end up getting divorced and selling the house, which is a rather extreme way of getting round the problem? We're obviously doing something wrong - what ought we to be doing?

ALSO, can anyone suggest a simpler, less "clever" room stat that would be a direct replacement. I appreciate the backplate would have to be swapped, but the wiring needs to be the same.

Sponsored Links
There's nothing particularly clever about these thermostats.
Is it installed correctly? ie. the installer settings are appropriate, it's not near a doorway, it's the right height, if on a stud wall is the wall properly sealed to prevent air ingress, no TRV on the rad, opposite or some distance from the rad, is the rad throttled down sufficient that the rest of the house is up to temp before the stat is satisfied, not affected by the sun etc.
What sized property...where is the stat located?
Ideally you should have the neutral connected although they don't insist but it may give better temp control.

must say , they are pretty reliable, I would check the location of yours as said and if it is OK try another one they are not expensive and will be a straight swap

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. The location is perfect, but I'll check the neutral tomorrow. As you say, a replacement isn't expensive - might go for the RF version, as the ability to move the stat from room to room appeals!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back