Drayton MA1 - Looks like a motorised valve head problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our MA1 sometimes (about 10 times in the past 14 months) 'sticks' in a non-resting position (i.e. Mid or Heating).
The only way to 'reset' it is to remove power from the unit via the isolator switch.

When power is removed, it goes back to a 'resting' position (W)ater.

The spindle on the valve itself seems OK but not great. It moves without being forced but 'squeaks' a bit (applied some WD40).

Does this sound like a problem with the motorised head itself rather than the brass valve/spindle sticking?

======
I've replaced the motorised head* but it's hard to tell if the problem is fixed as it was so irregular.

Oddly, this valve seems to rest at H or W.
(I assume 'W' was a resting position, but looking at forums sometimes 'H' can be too depending on what the valve has just been doing...?)

Any help appreciated.

(I'm tempted to change the brass valve too just to be sure it's all sorted.)

Sponsored Links
Valve most likely sticking on the inside or letting by. Bin it off and fit a Honeywell. Draytons are ****e

Do you mean the brass valve body or the motorised head unit?

I've already been thinking of replacing it with a Honeywell as we've had failures with MA1's in other houses. I'm assuming it uses a different brass valve body? (rather than just switching out the head)

Sponsored Links
Yea, you need to drain it down im afraid as they arnt compatible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back