Drayton RTS series cycling too often

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

The heating system in my apartment has a Drayton RTS series thermostat (most probably RTS1) which is located in the entrance hall, attached to an internal wall. Once the central heating has brought the apartment to the set temperature the thermostat tends to cycle the system on and off at a very high frequency (approx. once per minute). I am concerned about the wear this is placing on components such as the motorized zone valve and indeed the boiler itself.

I have taken measures to shield the thermostat from air currents by covering the vents on the thermostat body with sellotape. This prevents the thermostat activating when I walk past it, although when left alone the system still cycles far too frequently. I believe there is no cycle frequency adjustment to be made with this somewhat basic model. The thermostat does (to its credit) maintain the apartment at a very stable temperature, although I suspect at the cost of unnecessarily cycling the system.

My question is whether this cycling is a cause for concern. If so, I suspect the only viable solution is to install a better thermostat?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back