Drayton SM2 replace with LP241 - wiring issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, got a noob question, we cannot get a engineer out for weeks to do this job, so having replaced programmers before i thought i would replace our noisy SM2 with a LP241, knowing that the plates are identical... thought this would be simple... however!

The SM2 is currently wire up as follows
N - neutral
L - Live
1 - Blank
2 - Blank
3 - wire
4 - wire

The SM2 has a both CH and HW timers on it, but how can it work when not wired correctly? When i Installed the LP241 onto the plate the boiler was permanently on... sooo was wondering if anyone can shed light on this for me. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have a fully pumped system with two motorized valves?

If so, make sure the link on the back of the LP241 is in the P position.

Does the problem go away when you replace the old timer? If so, and you bought the LP241 from a shop, take it back and tell them it's faulty.

If you have a multimeter you can test the LP242 yourself using the backplate which came with it and a length of twin cable with a 13A plug on one end.

Connect the other end to the L and N terminals of the spare backplate.
Mount the LP241 on the backplate
Plug in and switch on
Measure voltage (meter on AC volts 250V range or higher) between terminals 3 and N and between 4 and N with the timer set to the different positions. You should only get 240V when the timer is supposed to be on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back