Drayton Valves Not Operating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A number of radiators remain very hot even though the Drayton TRVs are screwed down to the defrost setting. The valve's pins do not appear to be stuck and can be depressed ok. Could the valve washers be worn ? If so can they be replaced or do I need new valves ?

Sponsored Links
Are the suspect TRV4 bidirectional?

If not, is it fitted on the flow to the radiator?

If so, then it's faulty and needs to be replaced to restore correct operation.

Are the trv heads screwed on tight at the fixing collar?? If they're loose your rads will stay hot.

Sponsored Links
The valves have an arrow indicating they are one way at the inlet. Heads have been checked as screwed on. It would appear they are not closing properly and therefore looks like I will have to replace them. Thanks very much for all your help.

IN that case, nowt to lose, try inserting a small disc - a 5p or two may fit - between the head and the pin, so it's definitely pushed down. If the rad then cools you know it's the head which is faulty; if not, it's the valve itself, which I can't remember coming across.

It must be possible to replace just the thermostatic part of the rad valve as on mine they seem to be the problem. Would they have to be the same make as the threads between the valve and head seem very similar between makes.
Of course this will depend on wether it is possible to buy just the head and of course where from.

I expect someone has asked this before but I have not found it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back