Drayton Wiser kit 1 wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am trying to install a Drayton Wiser kit 1 on my combi boiler & I want to confirm the wiring as it is an old boiler - attached is the wiring diagram for my existing setup with a room thermostat and a mechanical clock & below is what is required for the Drayton, I can take the neutral & live from the fused spur on the boiler so no issues there, I want to remove the stat and the clock from the boiler so if I remove the wires I assume I will then wire the 3 lines from the prog section of my boiler to the Drayton but does this sound correct.

Prog Input to Drayton com 1
Prog Neutral to Drayon off 2
Prog Live to Drayton on 3

Is this correct or is there something else I am missing ?

Thanks in advance
Demo

1670663755367.png

Attachments

• IMG_20221209_203804120.jpg
    IMG_20221209_203804120.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 132
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am trying to install a Drayton Wiser kit 1 on my combi boiler & I want to confirm the wiring as it is an old boiler - attached is the wiring diagram for my existing setup with a room thermostat and a mechanical clock & below is what is required for the Drayton, I can take the neutral & live from the fused spur on the boiler so no issues there, I want to remove the stat and the clock from the boiler so if I remove the wires I assume I will then wire the 3 lines from the prog section of my boiler to the Drayton but does this sound correct.

Prog Input to Drayton com 1
Prog Neutral to Drayon off 2
Prog Live to Drayton on 3

Is this correct or is there something else I am missing ?

Thanks in advance
Demo

View attachment 288446
No that does not seem correct.

The Wiser itself is powered via the N & L terminals. Any connections (bar N & L) will only go on terminals 1 & 3. Terminals 2 & 4 are unused.

But check very carefully before making any connections. As Mister Banks indicated, model of boiler would be helpful. Can you provide a picture of the current wiring currently in place to "PROG" and "STAT".

As for the room thermostat, whilst you are verifying the Wiser is working ok the easiest is to turn it up to max. Once you are happy all is well your existing thermostat can be eliminated.

Last edited:
DIY thoughts only.

You should either remove the timer and bypass it. Possibly a link from Prog Live to Prog Input.
Or set the existing timer to always on.

Wiser needs to be the Stat signal.

At the moment, your boiler will only fire if the timer is on and thermostat is below set point.
Wiser does both the timing and temps.

Sponsored Links
DIY thoughts only.

You should either remove the timer and bypass it. Possibly a link from Prog Live to Prog Input.
Or set the existing timer to always on.

Wiser needs to be the Stat signal.

At the moment, your boiler will only fire if the timer is on and thermostat is below set point.
Wiser does both the timing and temps.
I would like to get rid of both - so I would wire to the Stat rather than the Prog, got it.

No that does not seem correct.

The Wiser itself is powered via the N & L terminals. The remaining steps depend on Combi boiler type, is its 240V or potential free switching. Any connections (bar N & L) will only go on terminals 1 & 3. Terminals 2 & 4 are unused.

Based on the picture you have posted, it seems the boiler is 240V switching. On that basis, Neutral & Live go to the N & L terminals. Then a link wire from L to 1, then the "input" wire to 3. But check very carefully before making any connections. As Mister Banks indicated, model of boiler would be helpful. Can you provide a picture of the current wiring currently in place to "PROG" and "STAT".

As for the room thermostat, whilst you are verifying the Wiser is working ok the easiest is to turn it up to max. Once you are happy all is well your existing thermostat can be eliminated.
It is a worcester 28i rsf combi - I am at work at the moment so can't access the wiring but can do this evening.
Can I leave the thermostat connected whilst the wiser is there as well ? I assume from the conversations that the above would be wired to the stat and not the prog as I had initially said ?

Thanks again

From what I can see the PROG and STAT connections just work in series. If both are "closed" the heating is on, if either are "open" it's off.

You can leave the existing room thermostat in place (& turned to max), the Wiser would the go into PROG. Or equally leave current timer in (& set to permanently on) and Wiser goes into STAT. That said you should bridge PROG or STAT and Wiser goes into the other.

retracting what I previously said in an earliest post (which I've now corrected).

Assuming you used the PROG interface.

PROG_live to Wiser L
PROG Neutral to Wiser N
link from Wiser L to Wiser#1
PROG_Input to Wiser #3

link from Stat_live to Stat_input

Last edited:
From what I can see the PROG and STAT connections just work in series. If both are "closed" the heating is on, if either are "open" it's off.

You can leave the existing room thermostat in place (& turned to max), the Wiser would the go into PROG. Or equally leave current timer in (& set to permanently on) and Wiser goes into STAT. That said long term you should bridge PROG or STAT (either prog live to prog input or stat live to stat input) and Wiser goes into the other.

retracting what I previously said in an earliest post (which I've now corrected).

Assuming you used the PROG interface.

PROG_live to Wiser #1
PROG_Input to Wiser #3

with no link between Wiser L & Wiser #1
HI,

So if I want to remove existing Clock & Stat I would wire as such

Spur Neutral - Wiser Neutral
Spur Live - Wiser Live

Prog Live - Wiser #1
Prog Input - Wser #3

Stat Live - Stat input

This will allow me to remove both the clock & Stat from the boiler & use the wiser system in place of both?

Thanks
Demo

HI,

So if I want to remove existing Clock & Stat I would wire as such

Spur Neutral - Wiser Neutral
Spur Live - Wiser Live

Prog Live - Wiser #1
Prog Input - Wser #3

Stat Live - Stat input

This will allow me to remove both the clock & Stat from the boiler & use the wiser system in place of both?

Thanks
Demo
see my updated reply. But your response is also OK.

Apologies for the delay - I hit my peak at work and things went a bit crazy, I have only just had time to install this last night, it works perfectly thank you all for your assistance!
Now to add it into HA for more fun.

Thanks again
Demo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back