dreaded artex skimming advice wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have tried to remove artex from the walls of a small utility room. I have scraped off all the large lumps & bumps. Beneath the artex I have found woodchip wallpaper, 10 to 15 layers of paint (gloss & emulsion) & finally bare brick - no plaster. My intention was to pva the walls & then skim plaster over them - will I have to remove all the remains of the paint from the wall bricks before I pva & skim?

Sponsored Links
You have 2 options:
• If you’re down t bare brick you can’t just skim it with finishing plaster, you will need a base coat on there first; this could be either sand/cement render or one of several base plasters depending on the type of brick. All the paper must be removed but the paint won’t be a problem providing it’s prepared correctly.

• Dot & dab some plasterboard to the walls, tape the joints & have this skimmed.

If you intend to DIY, I would advise you take some time to understand what’s involved with plastering & what you’re taking on by reading one or two plastering guides & Plastering Forum archive posts. Plastering is a true skill & not just a case of buying a trowel & some plaster from a DIY shed & slapping it on there; this approach will always end in tears. It is entirely possible to archive acceptable DIY results but not without practice. Easiest way is to buy a couple of sheets of plasterboard & practice on that; your first attempts will either put you off for life or make you even more determined. ;)

I have a plasterer who is going to do the work - the deal was that I remove the artex first - now I know why he didn't want to do that bit!

Sponsored Links
I have a plasterer who is going to do the work - the deal was that I remove the artex first - now I know why he didn't want to do that bit!
So did your plasterer not advise you what, exactly, he wanted you to do by way of prep work :?: is he going to skim coat brick walls :?:

I think he was expecting some plaster to be behind all thhat artex and paint - me thinks this job is now going to cost double what he said

to put a coat of PVA on and skim ill be adequat if it is very rough then maybe a coat of "bonding" before pinky will help

I would have to say as an owner of a plastering company I would not offer you any guarantee that the plaster would stick in the long term based on the information you have outlined.

The other alternative would be to batten out the walls leaving everything on your walls and then screw p/board to your battens, then you could dry line the joints, size it and paper it or get your man to skim it....You did say it was a small utility room so that might be your best option... Good Luck..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back