Dreaded Buchan trap...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a blockage in our drain, and it looks like the Buchan trap has basically collapsed and needs to be replaced, with a straight through connector hopefully. Just trying to reconcile who should be responsible for it.

I have been told that as the drain was built pre 1936, it is actually the responsibility of the water company? I don't think the drain is shared.

If it is mines, that is okay (we already have drain insurance) but just want to check.

Sponsored Links
Just a friend. Just spoke to TW who said it changed as you say in 2011.

Just wanted to check so we had all facts.

Sponsored Links
Even Pre 36 it was only shared drains. Afraid if only you using it, your responsibility. May be worth checking if House Insurance covers it, prior to engaging a contractor. Also, look for a reputable builder, and get several quotes, don't use the franchise drainage companies!

Thanks, we have Homecare who seem fine in covering it, they mentioned having to check shared drains and then my friend mentioning it to me made me want to ask.

It's definitely broken, we pulled out bits of it. It does happen. Probably ground movement, it looks like it is original from when the house was built (1900s).

If anyone is ever interested. So after a lot of inspection and what not it was not actually broken and misdiagnosed. In the end we ended up keeping it as it was in perfect condition.

Had been blocked up for years they reckoned, relics of a renovation circa 2007 were found. In the end the trap was cleaned properly by hand and back jetted. The chamber however needs a lot of work, one of the benches was fixed urgently as the adjacent chamber was leaking into ours. I will do the rest myself with Jetcem (needs rendered etc).

Was in there myself today, learnt a lot and actually can do a lot of it yourself with a strong stomach!

Try the rest then try the best!!

It was so bad because the neighbouring chamber was also blocked and had caused all the pointing to have fell out and thus the chambers were basically leaking into each other. Years of neglect on both houses basically. Chamber looks original from when house was built too. Apparently if I pop down every several months or so wth a gauntlet glove is enough to pick up debris from trap, and keep an eye on it periodically.

We found a broken bottle with a 90s date on it, mortar, screwdriver, loads of baby wipes (previous owner!), tiles etc.

Before and after cleaning below. Rebenching in progress

Last edited:
Nice photos ! Seen many chambers a lot worse.

Have you got the rodding drain plug ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back