Dreaded Ferroli Optimax HE 31C won't fill with water

Here is the boiler pipe work. I have a magna clean fitted and have now notice a leak coming from that which I think may be causing the problem. I'll see if I can find a way of taking it off to empty it out and refit it. Do you think that could be causing the problem?
Any leak will cause the pressure to drop - I hope that is the only one you need to deal with!

However I would expect that the system would re-pressurise in the normal way. I was expecting to see a black levered valve both ends of that short bent copper pipe near the gauge. As those would be the one to open and connect the central heating to the cold water mains for re-pressurising.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't get the magnaclean off. The lid is too tight and it was affecting the pipe work. I've isolated it though which has stopped the leak.

There def aren't anymore black levers. I even took the cover off and looked inside to no avail. I'm stumped and have had to call a plumber out. It's too cold in here now :(

Just had another look at that little copper pipe. There is a valve in it but with no lever attached. I've opened that and now managed to get pressure into the boiler! But, too much so I'll have to wait for it to drop now! It's still leaking where the magna clean joins though

Sponsored Links
have you got a radiator bleed key?
just open a rad and the pressure will drop
catch the water in a cup or small bowl
with the magnaclean its part of the circuit as the water flows out,through the rads to warm them and back to the boiler passing through the magnaclean to catch dirt and you only isolate it to open it, take it out and clean it.cant tell with your photo but if a pipe goes into the filter and then another pipe out the top of the filter ,then isolating will stop the flow of water through the circuit and back to the boiler
you have to deal with the leak.if you cannot pay someone or ask a friend to help out .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back