Dream garage suggestions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm kind or renovating my garage. I keep motorbikes in there and do a lot of work on them so spend a long time in there.

Are there any things I should try to include to fit in the garage to make it a better workshop.

I have or am planning to have:
CD/Radio
Large solid worktop (old kitchen top)
Large pull out draw/shelf just inder the worktop for screw containers etc
Carpet on the floor (several layers)
Good insulation all around
Polycarbonate roof for better insulation and to let the light in
Fluorescent strip lighting
Wall/peg board to hang things off
Numerous electricity sockets scattered around

Anything else you think may be a good idea?

Sponsored Links
I'm kind or renovating my garage. I keep motorbikes in there and do a lot of work on them so spend a long time in there.

Are there any things I should try to include to fit in the garage to make it a better workshop.

I have or am planning to have:
CD/Radio
Large solid worktop (old kitchen top)
Large pull out draw/shelf just inder the worktop for screw containers etc
Carpet on the floor (several layers)
Good insulation all around
Polycarbonate roof for better insulation and to let the light in
Fluorescent strip lighting
Wall/peg board to hang things off
Numerous electricity sockets scattered around

Anything else you think may be a good idea?

Wife proof door.
'P' funnel leading to a soak away, or better still a drain.
Small fridge for the tinnies.
Good comfortable armchair, to relax in while listening to CD/Radio and supping tinnie.
Wood burning stove.
Fire extinguisher.
Good alarm system.

Wotan

men8 - bars on windows (or decent weldmesh), stout access door with 'insurance' locks .... all to keep the local scumbag villains out as long as possible. Then, as per Wotan's post, an approved alarm .... if you've got decent tackle in there. Next, make sure you're specifically covered on your home insurance policy should the local pond life have all your stuff away one dark night.

No point in making it comfortable in there to swig your ale whilst working on your bike and other projects if the all your tackle gets lifted.

heater,
card table,
television,
dartboard,
some 70s cds, plenty tinnies and some mates.........let the good times roll. :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Fake/false wall which only you know is there and how to get into for all your expensive stuff and things you dont want your wife find.

A good quality vice; a compressor and air tools; linisher and polisher.

Shackles on the wall are always useful :oops: And rockwool for sound proofing ;)

But fluorescent lights and workshop tools don't go do they?

Nor do carpets and steel filings/sawdust/oil and grease

damp-proof floor. Otherwise it will be damp and you will get condensation.

I use a solid hardwood "personal" door with proper locks on it. The large vehicle door has padbolts on it which can only be undone from inside (garage doors and locks are very insecure, and anyway you can bump them away with your truck.

Insulate the vehicle door, and of course the ceiling.

Have no windows that people can look through to see what you've got.

electrical circuits to be RCD protected, preferably with RCBOs.

CFL security lighting

Alarm

proper roof not a plastic one , even if it is polycarb

Just because of security?

I would prefer one to let lots of light in... and insulate.. and last a long time...

I do realise a polycarb roof if not very secure but I'd prefer to have a nicely lit area to work in (when it's daylight) rather than have a mega security roof and use security else where - other wise 'they win' by stopping me doing what I want.

proper roof not a plastic one , even if it is polycarb

Just because of security?

I would prefer one to let lots of light in... and insulate.. and last a long time...

I do realise a polycarb roof if not very secure but I'd prefer to have a nicely lit area to work in (when it's daylight) rather than have a mega security roof and use security else where - other wise 'they win' by stopping me doing what I want.

Well said! buy a rottweiller with toothache :evil:

Internet connection. (You can tell the wife it's for problem solving)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back