Dribbling shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I fitted a new electric shower about 18 months ago and have been very happy with it until recently. Over a period of a few weeks it seemed to lose pressure until now. when set to a reasonable temperature the water can't even form a proper spray but dribbles instead.
I live in an area with hard water so thought it might be scaled up so I tried descaling it (not sure if this is a good idea but I didn't have anything to lose) by removing it and running some Kilrock through it. This didn't make any difference.
The water pressure is there if I turn the temp right down so I assume its a problem with the heating element.
Its a Gainsborough 8.5 kW shower. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Try removing the shower handset to see if flow is OK through the hose only. If so, the handset rose is scaled up - very common. There should be a means of dismantling since they need fairly cleaning.

Thanks,
I forgot to mention in my original post that cleaning the handset was the first thing I did and unfortunately it didn't make any difference. It is as if the shower has lost some of its ability to heat the water but I don't know why. I can still use it, but its nowhere near as good as it was a couple of months ago.

If the heat ex is scaled up then you will have to replace the shower. I would invest in a limescale preventer if you are in a hard water area to prevent re-occurence.
Something like THIS will help.

There again, it could be the thermostat or heat ex which is faulty. Might be worth phoning THESE PEOPLE for advice. :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice.

Do those magnetic scale inhibitors really work? I've always been a bit suspicious of them.

Incidentally could limescale be responsible for making my ceramic disc mixer tap drip. I've only had it for about 8 months so am a bit dissapointed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back