Dribbling tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She keeps on about when I'm going to fix our dribbling kitchen tap so off I go to the local hardware shop and get a selection of tap washers... it's 5 minute job right?
None of the washers fit! Maybe I should say at this point,the tap is a swan neck pedestal type,so back out to the not so local plumbers merchants where I get sold a whole new internal gubbins...£13!"no point changing the little silicone seal,it's the discs inside that wear out"
All fitted...tap still dribbles when you turn it off,doesn't drip once it's off but doesn't shut off nice and cleanly as the hot side does,so being a bit of a bright spark I swap the hot gubbins with the cold but it makes no difference('cept the tap works the wrong way round) so I put it all back as it was,used the new internals as I doubt the merchants would take it back once fitted...she comes in..."I thought you were going to fix that tap" :rolleyes: what's going on?any ideas chaps?

Sponsored Links
maybe the brass seat in the bottom of the tap where the cartridge sits slightly worn.

".tap still dribbles when you turn it off,doesn't drip once it's off "
In my experience, it is very difficult to get a swan necked outlet tap to shut of "cleanly". Once the tap is turned off, there always seems to be that small amount of water, held back in the vertical part of the swan neck which, eventually, seems to siphon out . A slight tap (knock) on the swan neck releases the vacuum which seems to be holding this small amount of water in the neck. Maybe there are taps which are constructed to overcome this but I have not come across them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back