Drill bit grinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like SHARP tools. This means after a few holes have been drilled, the bit is losing it's edge. I have been looking for a suitable sharpener, and the cheap gadgets probably dont do a good job. On the other hand, the bees-knees models are toolroom machines which cost a fortune.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Just get a cheap bench grinder and sharpen em yourself - a colleague at the last place I worked looked into drill sharpening devices for the muppets in the sheet metal department but didn't really come up with anything - as you say, the cheaper ones aren't much cop.
Might be as well getting some decent drills too - a few holes ain't that much work for a decent drill bit. I used to hand sharpen bits used in a cnc sliding head lathe - they did literally thousands of holes before sharpening.
What is it you're drilling?

General metal drilling, in various materials. CNC tools have a nice life, correct speed, feed rate and coolant. Do it in the average pillar drill, and it's not so kind.

It gets hard to hand grind them as they get small though, and the grit on the cheap bench grinder is way too coarse for small bits.

Point taken about the nice life for drills used in cnc machines - they're the painters and decorators of the drill world.

You can get replacement wheels for cheap bench grinders that would do small drills fine. Had no problems doing 3mm bits anyway.
Are you not using a cutting paste?

Sponsored Links
chaepo bench grinder works

or if you have trouble with the angles, plas plugs make a mini one with attahcments , one of which is for drills it holds them at the right angle, couple of twists for each face, job done.

but they are meant for diy, and as such look naff, but they do work well

found it here

oilman said:
Nothing. They're no good when they're blunt.
So you've got a big box of blunt drills that want sharpening then? I suppose if you can't do it with a grinder you could take them to a toolmaker and they could get the apprentice to do them for you for a small charge.

i use metal bits, and dont even get to use them in a pillar drill, try cobalt tipped bits, cost about 2ce what a normal cheapo bit costs but they last ages. i wouldnt know if they can be sharpened tho. what make bits are you buying? i use dorma all the time, ive found alpina are cack

You can sharpen solid cobalt drills so I can't see why you can't sharpen tipped drills - as long as you leave some tip there. ;)

gcol said:
You can sharpen solid cobalt drills so I can't see why you can't sharpen tipped drills - as long as you leave some tip there. ;)

yeah but can they be done in a cheapo drill sharpner, thats wot i meant, as they are harder than a normal drill i wondered if they might not destroy a drill sharpner that was only really mean for diy use, should have been more specific lol

You need a special stone, and they are useful for stainless steel, but pointless for wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back