Drill power for core drilling

I certainly wouldn't want to use anything with a core drill up a ladder that didn't have a safety clutch :eek:

And a normal (non SDS) drill gets bloody hot when cutting a core, found that out when the chuck on the SDS we borrowed jammed up :evil: , and the dryier vent needed finishing

Sponsored Links
cucumber said:
I've had one of these for about 3 years now and have given it plenty of abuse

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7105159.htm

It's very light and has a clutch. A little on the slow side coring 127mm holes but not an issue if you're only doing holes that size once in a while.
And it's also the wrong type of drill to run on a core drill because if the previously mentioned issues of gearing and clutch. A core drill is actually like this - note that with 1500watts this drill is still rated at 82mm maximum core size, for 127mm you actually need something like this

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Scrit said:
And it's also the wrong type of drill to run on a core drill because if the previously mentioned issues of gearing and clutch. A core drill is actually like this - note that with 1500watts this drill is still rated at 82mm maximum core size, for 127mm you actually need something like this

Scrit

It has a clutch and you can work around the gearing but I'm sure you're right... I shall now run along and fill up the holes I have cored out with that drill and buy one of your nice supadupa ones for the 3 or 4 holes I drill in a year ;)

cucumber said:
It has a clutch and you can work around the gearing but I'm sure you're right... I shall now run along and fill up the holes I have cored out with that drill and buy one of your nice supadupa ones for the 3 or 4 holes I drill in a year ;)
The sarcasm isn't necessary - any of the tradespeopple here giving advice are generally doing so based on experience. You may get away with poor or dangerous practices for years (even yout entire life) before you have an accident - but that don't make it right.

Scrit

Scrit said:
You may get away with poor or dangerous practices for years (even yout entire life) before you have an accident - but that don't make it right.

Scrit

Please explain how the tool I mentioned is dangerous.

Not quite up to the task if used repeatedly everyday but you can get by with it safely, unless I've missed something.

It's dangerous because the tool isn't designed for the job. If it stalls "in cut" and you are working at height (e.g. up a ladder) it could result in a fall - happy now? I was warned about using under-specified drills on cores by a couple of builders. When I asked a near neigbour who works in one of our local A&E units she confirmed that they still get a number of sprained wrists and the occassional fall from ladder/scaffolding every year - by people using core drills.

Scrit

True true. SDS drills, even low powered ones WILL work with core bits BUT they are a bugger if they get stuck. I've done 2 117mm holes, one for a cooker hood and one for an air con outlet. The cooker one went smoothly but the aircon one jammed and I had a sore forearm for a week, and im not exactly the mr muscle man off the ads either. Deffo wouldn't want to use one up a ladder. On the other hand, if you're working inside at lowish level they are adequate for the job imho.

Scrit said:
It's dangerous because the tool isn't designed for the job. If it stalls "in cut" and you are working at height (e.g. up a ladder) it could result in a fall - happy now? I was warned about using under-specified drills on cores by a couple of builders. When I asked a near neigbour who works in one of our local A&E units she confirmed that they still get a number of sprained wrists and the occassional fall from ladder/scaffolding every year - by people using core drills.

Scrit

I'm not looking to argue with you but just because a tool is used for something that the manual doesn't specifically state, it doesn't make it necessarily dangerous.

The drill I'm talking about has a clutch which is quite happy to slip.

Would be nice to know all the wasted money in the NHS is going towards logging the usage of different types of drills up a ladder but somehow I don't think they would know the difference between a core and a flat wood bit.
Anyway, your A&E stat doesn't mean anything unless you can get your near neighbour to log how many of their visitors were using an actual core drill and how many were not.
More importantly how many of the ones that weren't using a proper core drill were using a drill that had a clutch.

Just to add, for the sake of further arguement to those that say don't use an SDS drill for core drilling, if they weren't 'safe' how could companies get away supplying them in SDS fitment? Surely that would come under some EU/CE law?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back