Drill pre-cast concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to attach a fence post to a pre-cast concrete garage (probably about 50 years old).

Can I drill into the garage and if so with what type of drill bit?

The post will not be supporting much weight, so could I glue it? Perhaps I could use "grip-fill".

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Grip-fill may work. I'd be inclined to prefer a 2 part epoxy.

I had a similar predicament some years ago, we had a concrete garage and i wanted to put a gate adjacent to it. I was advised not to drill into the concrete or fixing the gate post. My solution was to use the coach bolts that connect the structure. I fabricated some metal brackets, put the coach bolts through and attached the fence post to the brackets. No good is your gate is some way from the supports thought

Sponsored Links
I have a concrete garage in shiplap mouled design.
It's a cow to fix to as the concrete is too thin to take plugs.
Shelp brackets inside had to be fixed to timber battens hield on with loads of 8mm coach bolts drilled from outside so the heads would stop water getting in.
The front of the garage is much thicker which allowed a fixing but not the sides or rear.
The concrete is likely to be reinforced with steel so drilling can be a problem if you hit the steel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back