Drill through chimney breast - limited clearance for tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I need to drill a hole through the side of a chimney breast. Thickness of the wall is in the region of 400-500mm. The outside face has a 600mm wide alcove next to it. My sds drill is about 400mm long. This obviously doesn't give me enough room to get a long masonry bit in. Hole size needs to be about 30mm minimum.

I'm a bit stumped at the moment. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Buy a longer bit
Any messing about will take ages

Sds extensions are available

Lidl or aldi were selling massive ones a few months ago, you can get away with cheap ones if it's a one off

That's the problem. I can't get at it with a long bit because the space available is only 600mm. My drill is nearly 400mm long.

as above but if not then why not post pics of the face of the chimney breast and the sspace at the side you want to drill through.
why do you need a 30mm hole?

Sponsored Links
You need to start the hole with a shorter bit then, 260mm SDS. (200mm actual drilling depth)

Once you've drilled 200mm, then you can put a 410mm bit into the wall before putting it in the chuck. If you still don't have room, you'll want an intermediate 310 or 360mm length bit in between.

Seeing as you want a 30mm hole, you should use a dry diamond core bit once you have made this pilot hole. Whilst some places sell 30mm, you'll find it much easier to find/buy a 32mm core bit, because it's the equivalent of 1¼ inch in old money. You'll want an extension (maybe two) for the core bit arbor also.

ELESDSRA.jpeg

Don't ask how well they perform because I'm doubtful and unaware but Hilti do make them.

Other than that I'd do and have done what rsgaz has suggested.

Can you drill from inside the chimney breast to do this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back