Drilled through the ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having installed laminate flooring in my old property, I then laid down batons around the room edges along with a wooden block against the 2" step to the door. Decided to fasten the wooden block down with some 5 inch screws.

Ran over the area with a metal detecter first...nothing. So I drilled about 5 inches down and the drill cut out. Hmm...odd. Then I noticed the RCD had tripped on the ring main. Must have been the drill, power surge perhaps...flick back the RCD and try again...yes...it trips again...hmm - try again tommorow.

Reactivated the swtich and went to bed...woke up to an enormous "BANG" at about 2am...it had tripped again. By this time I decided that I had done enough damage and the next day I got a sparky in who confirmed that the ring main was concreted over just below the surface but beyond my metal detector's reach and that he though I had half drilled the cable exposing bare wire.

Rather than dig up a concrete floor, he bypassed the problem section and we just ended up with some trunking around that corner of the room.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back