Drilled through neutral, repair possible?

Sponsored Links
Is there any chance of a Socket or Two being installed on the OTHER side of the wall? - perhaps the cable could be brought through the wall into two separate sockets, and then bridged with a new piece of cable.

Is there any chance of a Socket or Two being installed on the OTHER side of the wall? - perhaps the cable could be brought through the wall into two separate sockets, and then bridged with a new piece of cable.
People can be a bit 'funny'! Many would probably say that it's 'not good practice' (or 'not best practice') to have an 'unnecessary joint' in a circuit - even if, as has been suggested, it was sort-of-accessible within a backbox with a blank plate. However, as I presume you are implying, the same people would probably be perfectly happy to 'extend the ring' with two extra (but 'unwanted') sockets, even though that would involve even more 'joints' (able terminations) - the equivalent of adding two JBs!

Kind Regards, John

Fortunately, an electrician is going to sort it out.

But for the record, I'm one of those people who don't like joints in plaster, yet don't have any issues about a joint in a ceiling void. Funny really - I suppose a ceiling void seems more accessible, even though in many cases it may not be.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I found this in some plaster, once:

IMG_1421.jpg IMG_1422.jpg IMG_1423.jpg IMG_1424.jpg IMG_1425.jpg IMG_1426.jpg

I found this in some plaster, once:....
I can't really compete with that, but I found this in the wall of my daughter's cottage (completely buried in plaster, with nothing on surface to indicate its presence!). I don't know about yours but, as you can see by my scribblings on wall, most of what I found (including a totally unprotected chock block) was live (apologies for poor quality pic!) (IIRC, neither the switch nor socket mentioned in my wall scribblings were even vaguely aligned with the cables, so they probably were not in what we would call 'safe zones')...

upload_2015-12-1_1-38-7.png

Kind Regards, John

Its a outside wall, so no option of a socket on the other side, the fitters spoken to the electrician, they are going to fit a fused connection unit up there, I like that idea of repair as it means I can fit remote LED lights up there now if I want :D

Yes, but I'd prefer solder. A properly soldered and insulated joint should be as good as original cable.
Agreed, but I'd personally go further than 'prefer'. If it was absolutely necessary, I'd be fairly happy with a buried "properly soldered and insulated joint", but I wouldn't personally want to have a crimped joint buried in a wall - but that's probably just me!

Kind Regards, John

If it was me, and the cables were in capping or conduit, I'd probably aim to do a joint in a pattress on top of the wall unit, and put a new piece of cable between the joint and the socket.

I've probably got more faith in a joint that can be accessed rather than a concealed crimped or soldered joint.

Then again, sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

I've probably got more faith in a joint that can be accessed rather than a concealed crimped or soldered joint.
Sure, I think we probably all feel that - even though I wonder, in reality, how often you, I or anyone else would actually ever look at the 'accessible' joint?! :)
Then again, sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do.
Quite - that's why I said "if it's absolutely necessary" - in which case, as I said, if the joint 'has to be' buried, I would be very much more comfortable with a soldered joint than a crimped one.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back