how to repair cables drilled through doing shelving?

SA tape to wrap each core and then sa tape to wrap all cores will be fine.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, those cables should not really be there, although they are in what is know as a "safe zone" - 6inches from a corner.
I too am a bit confused why they 'should not really be there' is that not the point of safezones?

...but he's got to do something, hasn't he? I certainly wouldn't be happy with unsheathed conductors and crimps simply buried in plaster, even if one did wait for the plaster to completely dry out (at least 1 week per cm) before turning the power back on, would you?
Self amalgomating tape was mentioned. I have to admit, even if one join was in the wall so at not to have to break into the ceiling, I might have chased the other end back to the CU, as well as staggered te joins. I guess the main thing however, is to ensure its safe.

Daniel

To be fair, those cables should not really be there, although they are in what is know as a "safe zone" - 6inches from a corner.
I too am a bit confused why they 'should not really be there' is that not the point of safezones?
...and me (a bit confused). Maybe TTC was refering to the fact that having/allowing so-called 'safe' zones in corners is daft - since those are the very places where shelf supports and wall-hung cabinets etc. are likely to be attached.
...but he's got to do something, hasn't he? I certainly wouldn't be happy with unsheathed conductors and crimps simply buried in plaster, even if one did wait for the plaster to completely dry out (at least 1 week per cm) before turning the power back on, would you?
Self amalgomating tape was mentioned.
It was, but (as Chri5 said), there ought to be an overall layer (hence covering exposed unsheathed cores) as well as a layer around each crimp.
I have to admit, even if one join was in the wall so at not to have to break into the ceiling, I might have chased the other end back to the CU, as well as staggered te joins. I guess the main thing however, is to ensure its safe.
Same here - but, as you say, the important thing is that it is done 'safely'. Unless it were absolutely uavoidable, I don't think I would personally be totally comfortable with any sort of cable join, other perhaps than soldered (and adequately covered/protected), buried in plaster.

Kind Regards, John

Daniel[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Unless it were absolutely uavoidable, I don't think I would personally be totally comfortable with any sort of cable join, other perhaps than soldered (and adequately covered/protected), buried in plaster.
Obviously an join is not something you would plan, nor running a drill through every one of a set of four cables.

One of the things that I would be aware of is if the fact that, while the OP knows about the joint, the next owner proberbly wont, nor the one after, certainly not when in 25 years time, after the walls been damp for 6months from some weeping plumbing above, that it has then coroded enough that the heaters and dehuimidiers running dry the wall pull enough power to cause the joint to fail....
..Im painting a picture of a series of unlikelyness, but anyway. Yes. Get it painted over, life goes on!!

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back