Drilled through light switch cable

Hi folks - thanks for all the informative replies.

The more I think about it (and investigate) the less convinced I am that I've gone through the cable. It's neither in a corner nor ceiling zone, the hole I drilled was about 100mm off vertical from the switch and, critically, nothing tripped. It would have been pretty amazing to go through one of the conductors and not disturb earth, right?

I'm going to go into the ceiling now to test...

Sponsored Links
It would have been pretty amazing to go through one of the conductors and not disturb earth, right?
Not really.

Twin & earth has L&N at the edges. Perfectly possible to cut through one and not touch the earth. Unlikely, maybe, but far from amazing.

And then there's always the possibility that there is no earth in the cable....

There's definitely earth - however, it looks like it is the case that a single conductor has been severed. Going to have to dig into the wall to check...

In fact - I did, indeed, manage to cut cleanly through one conductor and leave the earth in the middle untouched. Will be asking my sparky to crimp (he's already indicated that he likely would). I guess I can cut out a bit more plaster and site the repair vertically above the switch...

Sponsored Links
In fact - I did, indeed, manage to cut cleanly through one conductor and leave the earth in the middle untouched. Will be asking my sparky to crimp (he's already indicated that he likely would). I guess I can cut out a bit more plaster and site the repair vertically above the switch...
BAS will undoubtedly say that it will be non-compliant with regulations unless you move the entire cable (not just the repair) into the safe zone vertically above the switch.

Kind Regards, John

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----------
Unhelpful
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
BAS will undoubtedly say that it will be non-compliant with regulations unless you move the entire cable (not just the repair) into the safe zone vertically above the switch.
Will I.

It seems I need to repeat the only post I have made concerning that issue.

Re-energising and putting back into service a cable concealed in a non-compliant way?

But I am in no doubt that if new cable needs to be installed, the regulations on concealed cables must apply to it.

In fact - I did, indeed, manage to cut cleanly through one conductor and leave the earth in the middle untouched.
You mean that pretty amazing event? ;)

I guess I can cut out a bit more plaster and site the repair vertically above the switch...
The problem is that any new cable you install is subject to the regulations concerning where concealed cables can be.

And if you re-route any of the existing cable, that new route is likewise covered by the regulations.

It may be simpler to bite the chasing and making good bullet and just install a new switch drop in the right place.

Will I. It seems I need to repeat the only post I have made concerning that issue.
As I said when you first posted it, I cannot believe that merely "re-energizing and putting back into service" a cable buried outside of a safe zone (e.g. by flicking the MCB off/on) invokes a requirement for it to be moved into a safe zone (or protected), but I can believe that 'working on' (e.g. repairing) a cable outside of a safe zone might.
But I am in no doubt that if new cable needs to be installed, the regulations on concealed cables must apply to it.
As I also previously said, I found it hard to believe that, if the cable is embedded in plaster, it would be possible to repair it without inserting a new bit of cable.

It was for the above reasons that I presumed you would say that (for one reason or the other) to repair the cable in its present position would be non-compliant, but maybe I misunderstood your view.

Kind Regards, John

The problem is that any new cable you install is subject to the regulations concerning where concealed cables can be. And if you re-route any of the existing cable, that new route is likewise covered by the regulations. It may be simpler to bite the chasing and making good bullet and just install a new switch drop in the right place.
That is all true, and is the advice we must give.

However (if I can remember where my flak jacket is), having given that advice, one might observe that some people would probably consider the question of whether the cable (in its present position) would, after a repair, represent any greater a hazard than it did before the incident which brought about a need for the repair.

Kind Regards, John

I can believe that 'working on' (e.g. repairing) a cable outside of a safe zone might.
So can I.

As I also previously said, I found it hard to believe that, if the cable is embedded in plaster, it would be possible to repair it without inserting a new bit of cable.
Indeed.

It was for the above reasons that I presumed you would say that (for one reason or the other) to repair the cable in its present position would be non-compliant
Putting this specific situation to one side, it's quite possible for a cable to be concealed but not embedded, and that there could be enough slack to allow a repair with no new section being needed to be let in. And that is where I'm undecided as to whether the rules for concealed cables would affect the repair.

But here, if a new piece of cable needs to be embedded in the wall, then the rules will without doubt apply to the embedding of that piece.

some people would probably consider the question of whether the cable (in its present position) would, after a repair, represent any greater a hazard than it did before the incident which brought about a need for the repair.
I'm sure they would.

I'm also sure that that is not a consideration relevant to whether the cable should be left where it is.

Thanks for all the info, folks.

So, I've dug out the problem - it's about 1m above the switch and a good 150mm lateral of it. I totally see the points being made about compliance - after all, I drilled in there believing there was little chance of meeting the switch cable as it was well to the side.

It seems to me that I can effect a reasonable solution by chasing the metre of cable below the repair down to the switch, then moving the switch 150mm to the side. It leaves me with a bit more filling to do, but not the huge job I would have faced to replace the whole cable, and it puts the (permitted) repair in the permitted zone. Does that seen reasonable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back