Drilled into mains water pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had just finished our brand new kitchen and the paintwork had been touched up, so we were really proud of it. :D

We thought one of the walls looked a bit bare so decided to buy one of those kitchen roll holders as we were limited on worktop space (small kitchen). My partner set about drilling holes into the wall and I went upstairs to get something. I was halfway up the stairs and I heard a very loud scream... and bear in mind my partner is not someone who screams easily! I thought she had drilled into her hand. :eek:

I ran downstairs and there was mains-pressure water spurting from the wall, and she was trying her very hardest to stem the flow, but it was coming from two separate places.

She'd only gone and drilled between the hot and cold pipes embedded in our kitchen wall. :eek: The drill had caught BOTH pipes!

I clambered underneath and turned the water off at the stopcock, but the kitchen was soaked, our new paintwork already looking very sad, and it took two plumbers over five visits to fix the problem due to the fact that the pipes were embedded in the wall and the wall had to be excavated.

Even two years later, it was still obvious that we'd had trouble with that wall and there was a damp patch appearing, so a few months ago we ended up taking off the plaster, getting a plumber to thoroughly check the pipes, covering the area in PVA and having it re-plastered. It now seems to be okay. But we've had some shelves put up (by a joiner!) to disguise the area a bit. Luckily he avoided drilling into the mains pipes again. :rolleyes:

The stupid thing is, I don't even really like those kitchen roll holders. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Ouch that must have really hurt your wallet :confused: Think i'll always think twice before I drill anywhere.... pipe detectors may me a worthy investment!

That reminds me of the time when I drilled into a gas pipe. I hasten to add it was many years ago when I first started to do DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back