struck water whilst mounting lcd tv on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a brand new house and after a week decided to wall mount my 40" LCD
I had used a stud detector to check for electrics and all was good.
Drilling the holes for the mounting bracket and was on the 2nd last one when I had a strange premonition, i paused then thought - what if i hit water pipe like that fool on the dominos advert,I thought the stud detect should pick that up and continued, right then after removing the drill from the wall i got a gush of water in my eye, temporarly blinded and in shock and panic!
I reached for a screw driver and preceded to stab the wall like a maniac tearing the plaster board away as i stabbed.

I found the hole in the pvc radiator piping, got it spot on in the middle (whats the odds ) and did a temp fix with duct tape.
sunday night and not willing to call a plumber and spend my next wage packet, so it had to do.
next day bought a coupling and plaster mix and board and all is well now, exept for the nightmares of the incident and the shakes whenever i put drill to wall.

Sponsored Links
thats the problem with plastic piping. Detectors cant pick them up.

Was there any indication that the pipe was there? such as where the pipe emerges from the wall at a low level, or on the other side? They should run vertically.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back