Gas pipe...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before we bought our new place we were renting. We had asked the landlord permission to drill above the fireplace to hang a mirror; it was his old house and we were on good terms with him so no problem. Well, that's what I thought.

Measured up where we needed to put the two screws. It was a modern house so plasterboard walls - had all the correct fixings ready. Started drilling the first hole, met a bit of resistance and then the sudden sound and smell of gushing gas as the drill jolted through the pipe.

Turned the gas off in a panic and assessed the damage (see pic)...

We were incredibly lucky I managed to hit the pipe so central; had I caught it just to the side it would have resulted in a small leak which could have eventually poisoned us or caused an explosion. It was my fault, but what a stupid place to put a gas pipe. It ran along the top of the wall and straight down to the fireplace above the mantlepiece which is generally the area where people screw and nail pictures/mirrors!

Attachments

• IMG_7219.jpeg
    IMG_7219.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 793
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back