Bank holiday woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cracking weekend this one - all was well till Monday (foundations for new drive laid ok, area leared up, all going perfect.....)

Then decided to put up the final cupboard in the kitchen on the nice newly skimmed wall; got the cupboard level; my better half marked the drill holes; did a quick mental check that I wasn't drilling anywhere near any electrical cables (coz lets face it - that rubbish they sell as capping for cables ain't gonna protect a cable against a high speed drill bit is it??) and started drilling....

Drill hole 1 - ok, rawl plug in... Laughing....
Drill hole 2 - ok, rawl plug in... Laughing.... "I'll be done in no time" Thinks I.....

Drill hole 3 - drills in no problem..... Removes drill from hole...... Water starts pouring out, a trickle at first, then a bit more of a gush :( :( :( :(

Yep - I'd gone straight through a poly pipe for the radiator buried in the wall :oops: Water gushing down the wall, my better half running around with towels trying to protect the nice new laminate floor (thankfully undamaged), me bashing into the nice new skimmed wall trying to free up enough pipe to get a hold of it and get my finger over the hole while simultaneously directing other half to find me a fitting, olive, pipe cutter, hacksaw (when I remember that a copper pipe cutter doesn't properly cut polypipe), and pair of wrenches etc etc.
Eventually managed to fit an end cap; get to a local shed to buy a fitting to link the 2 severed bits of pipe, soaking wet and my day spoilt.

Moral of the story? Not only ask yourself "will I drill through a cable", but also "will I drill through a pipe". For though water does not kill you, it certainly sleaved you and your walls very wet. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
water does not kill you

does if it gets deep enough!

and if that doesnt the wife will! :LOL:

a guy made a hole in one of our rad pipes a few weeks ago. quick as a flash he tapped the sharp end of a pencil straight through the hole in the plaster and plugged the hole in the pipe. no water damage at all.

petewood said:
a guy made a hole in one of our rad pipes a few weeks ago. quick as a flash he tapped the sharp end of a pencil straight through the hole in the plaster and plugged the hole in the pipe. no water damage at all.

Grrrrrr - wish I could have done that - trouble was I grazed the pipe not went clean into it (can't even do that properly :mad: ) so I'd have had no chance..... Typical... Oh well

Sponsored Links
nah dont believe it. I can never find my pencil when im working, no matter what colour it is!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back