Drilling 5mm pilot hole x150mm deep through oak sleepers - drill bit recommendations please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to drill a bunch of pilot holes through my oak sleepers at 5mm, and 150mm depth. I got a drill bit off Amazon that snapped on the 4th hole, so totally open to some recommendations.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you could go to 6mm (the smallest size auger bits normally come in) you could change to a proper auger bit rather than trying to use a metalworking bit for the job. If so you need to look for a machine auger bit circa 210 to 260mm long and ideally from a decent manufacturer (e.g. Armeg, Bahco, Bosch, Fisch, Irwin, Makita, Milwaukee, Wurth, etc) and get yourself a file (ideally an auger bit file, but failing that a 4in flat needle file with a handle with one safe edge, i.e. one edge with no teeth on it) because you will probably need to sharpen the auger bit at some point. Avoid bits with 1/4in hex drives as they can snap off if over-stressed. Auger bits of 6mm need to be run at 500 to 900rpm and no faster. The threaded nose of an auger should pull the drill bit through the wood without the need to push hard providing it isn't over revved. Another common mistake is not to clear the build-up of waste in the auger bit from time to time - this will clog any bit and you might snap the drill bit if the lands get clogged.

BTW the reason I avoid cheapo no-name Chinese auger bits is because they often arrive blunt, they aren't always straight and they won't always resharpen (some of my decent bits are more than 20 years old and have been resharpened mutiple times). On eBay a decent bit won't cost you a fortune - just looked at an Irwin (only 190mm long, though) at under £11 and a Bahco 6 x 460mm at £18.27. Not as cheap as carp, but you get what you pay for

150mm will be too short to drill a 150mm deep hole, @foxhole, the actual cutting length of that will be around 100 to 110mm

Sponsored Links
150mm will be too short to drill a 150mm deep hole, @foxhole, the actual cutting length of that will be around 100 to 110mm

I'll give it a go. I'm using a spade bit to open up a hole first (dowel pegs going on top) so the length + impact driver for the screws might be enough for what I need it to do.

Last edited:
Thought you wanted a 150mm deep hole. And why 5mm? (odd size for a dowel) Surely you'd just want to drill a single clean hole? (and an auger bit is far better at that)

The one you posted a link to is total length 150mm working length 73mm. Auger bits aren't sold on depth of cut. My 235mm augers cut about 150 to 180mm depth - so not 20mm in the chuck. AFAIK this is the norm

OP link shows 180mm length.

Attachments

• 0E6DB552-D124-4E53-B1A5-3823016D96ED.png
    0E6DB552-D124-4E53-B1A5-3823016D96ED.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 82
It says "Dimensions: 12 x 180 x 12mm" which is the size of the packaging (tube or box) it comes in. The auger bit size at the top of the page is clearly stated as "Irwin 105027385 5 x 150mm Auger Drill Bit", or the dimension is a typical misleading Amazon description. BtW how does a 5mm diameter hole get drilled by an 8mm bit? As the FFX site states, "Length 150mm, working length 73mm"...

Last edited by a moderator:
@JobAndKnock you were totally right. It wasn't deep enough at all to get the screw in.
The screw I'm using is 6.7 x 150. My understanding was the pilot hole needs to be a few mm smaller for the screw to have something to bite into. In this case would you still suggest a 6mm auger?

I'm always a bit leary of Amazon descriptions, but equally machine auger bits have always seemed to start at 6mm in the past. Hand auger bits, designed to be used in a bit brace, used to start at 3/16in or 4.8mm, but they are increasingly difficult to get hold of and TBH they aren't designed to be used in a power tool

You are right about the pilot hole needing to be a bit smaller, but if it's too small with such a long screw the screw can wind-up (twist) and snap off like a carrot, especially with softer screw materials like stainless steel or brass. And that is certainly a very long screw! TBH I didn't realise anyone did stainless steel screws of that size. Why so long?

If the screw thread extends for only a short distance in that 150mm (e.g. 40mm) you might need a smaller pilot, but for 100mm of thread length into timber 6mm should suffice

Anyway, try this £3.29 clearance offer from Toolstation - 6mm diameter, 235mm long, working length 160mm. It's a Heller brand. I have a few Heller auger bits in my auger bit roll and they're reasonable quality (i.e straight, reasonably sharp, more or less the size they say they are and they can be re-sharpened). Alternatively, on eBay, there's this Bosch 6mm auger bit, 235mm long x 160mm working length. Cheapest for this item on Amazon is nearly 3 times the price, at £12.79!

Last edited by a moderator:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm always a bit leary of Amazon descriptions, but equally machine auger bits have always seemed to start at 6mm in the past. Hand auger bits, designed to be used in a bit brace, used to start at 3/16in or 4.8mm, but they are increasingly difficult to get hold of and TBH they aren't designed to be used in a power tool

You are right about the pilot hole needing to be a bit smaller, but if it's two small with such a long screw the screw can wind-up (twist) and snap off like a carrot, especially with softer screw materials like stainless steel or brass. That is certainly a very long screw! TBH I didn't think anyone did stainless steel screws of that size. Why so long?

If the screw thread extends for only a short distance in that 150mm (e.g. 40mm) you might need a smaller pilot, but for 100mm of thread length into timber 6mm should suffice

Anyway, try this £3.29 clearance offer from Toolstation - 6mm diameter, 235mm long, working length 160mm. It's a Heller brand. I have a few Heller auger bits in my auger bit roll and they're reasonable quality (i.e straight, reasonably sharp, more or less the size they say they are and they can be re-sharpened). Alternatively, on eBay, there's this Bosch 6mm auger bit, 235mm long x 160mm working length. Cheapest for this item on Amazon is nearly 3 times the price, at £12.79!

The screw is for attaching two courses of horizontally flat oak sleepers together, which total 200mm in height. Here's the screw on Amazon. The dimensions of the thread are probably better shown in this photo:

photo_2022-08-03_13-24-23.jpg

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Too long , you only need 120mm for 200mm total , 30mm deep 12mm hole on top sleeper to allow the head to sink in giving you 50mm into the bottom sleeper .Stainless steel can be weaker and snap easier .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back