Drilling 45mm Hole in Railway Sleepers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Folks ,

I have some raised borders in my garden made from railway sleepers .

I want to put some flush fitting lights in the top , so need to drill a hole around 45 mm diameter x 30mm deep . I notice the flat type wood drills dont go that big - so just wondering whats the best bit , and method to do the job .

I do have a saw drill which I used for the same lights in my decking (obviousely I`m not drilling right through on the sleepers) . Could I use this and then go down with a smaller flat drill ? or is there a better method ?

Sponsored Links
You can use a hole saw, removing it frequently and allowing the dust to clear and then get in with a chisel to break out the remaining timber.
A flat bit doesn't want a pilot hole that the hole saw will leave - it will tend to wander.
A forstner bit is another option, but I would have thought a 45mm flat bit would be available if you hunted around!
John :)
Edit.....ukdrills.com do a 45mm forstner bit for £3.12....excellent firm too ;)
J

I'd second the forstner bit , just make sure you hold it dead square when you start.
Another option is a router, again it needs a little care but I've done that sort of thing for lights in the past.

Sponsored Links
If you need to drill a few, you could use a holesaw to make suitably sized template and then use a straight cutter on a router to make each hole. If you are using a template bush on the router (better than using bearing guided router bits) remember to use a suitably oversized holesaw for making the template.

If you need to drill a few, you could use a holesaw to make suitably sized template and then use a straight cutter on a router to make each hole. If you are using a template bush on the router (better than using bearing guided router bits) remember to use a suitably oversized holesaw for making the template.

thats a long way through, with a router bed on a uneven surface through some spiney old timber I reckon your router would throw a wobbly in the hole
I dont think I'd like to be holding onto it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back