Drilling and filling a hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have to replace a waste pipe from the kitchen sink as the current one is too high and is leading to drainage problems.
It will be about 1.5-2 inch pipe obviously runs through an exterior wall at the front of the house.

Questions
What is the best way to drill the new hole (core drill?)?

What is the best way to seal the new pipe in? (how do I get mortar the width of an exterior wall?

What is the best way of sealing the old pipe off? Its fixed in so cant remove it and even if I could again how do i get mortar the length (or width) of the wall/pipe?

Thanks Mark

Sponsored Links
Slightly strange questions, but this might help.

Core drill yes.
..or stitch drill, (drill lots of little holes in a circle and knock out the middle) Less dust but slower and will need more tidying up afterwards. Fill any gaps around pipe/hole with expanding foam. Then once cured, dig the foam out slightly and trowel on some mortar to finish.

Thanks for your help. Might seem like a strange question to you but not to me! I'm a dab hand DIYer but am nervous when coming to drilling a big hole in my house!

I think I'll go stitch method to save costs.

Thanks again!.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Just finished this last night. Goes without saying that the drainage problem has now been rectified. But what a pain in the posterior just to lower it 4 inches!!

I tried the stitch drilling method but after it took me 75mins and 3 drill bits to drill the first hole I decided that my bricks must be re-enforced with steel, granite and adamantium! Resorted to old lumpy and a chisel and smashed half a brick out. Job done!

God that expanding foam is messy stuff! Managed to get it everywhere! Plus made the mistake of completely filling the holes (inc the old one) without giving it chance to expand. Now looks like the outside of my house has an unsightly growth LOL :LOL: :LOL:
Sorting it out tonight.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back