Drilling holes in ancient oak timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm a stranger to this forum, but certainly not to DIYnot!

I need to drill a few 10mm holes in some ancient (~125 years) oak timbers. I've tried various types of drills/bits, some previously unused, and am achieving little more than heating them up and rapidly blunting them, with only slow/little progress through the wood! I don't think they make wood like they used to :)

Any suggestions/advice?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
ptfe dry lube spray .... 4mm/6mm/8mm then 10mm .... will be as hard as iron
Thanks. Yes, as I said, I've already discovered that it is hard as iron :) (but at least with iron, I know how to drill it!!)

What sort of drill bits would you suggest? Of those I've tried, and somewhat to my surprise, 'flat' bits seem to struggle the least, but 'going up the sizes' in them would be a bit of a problem.

Kind Regards, John

no dont predrill for a flat bit unless its a bit smaller than the point[ about 3mm] otherwise it will be uncontrollable and give random shaped holes

Sponsored Links
no dont predrill for a flat bit unless its a bit smaller than the point[ about 3mm] otherwise it will be uncontrollable and give random shaped holes
That's what I thought, and the reason why I would really think of doing it. About the only sort of bit which would seem to facilitate 'going up the sizes' would be 'basic' ('HSS') drills - is that what you had in mind?

Kind Regards, John

dont drill many holes in oak so use what i have and yes hss bits
on new oak hole saws work fine for 40mm teelight holders but require removal and reinserting about every 5-7mm spraying with ptfe spray helps take the heat out off the metal as well as lubricate

dont drill many holes in oak so use what i have and yes hss bits ... on new oak hole saws work fine for 40mm teelight holders but require removal and reinserting about every 5-7mm spraying with ptfe spray helps take the heat out off the metal as well as lubricate
OK, all understood. Thanks for your advice.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back