Drilling holes in joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im considering putting a hole through this joist in the position arrowed. It will be for a shower waste pipe

The joist itself is 62mm thick by 205mm tall. Its at least 3 metres long starting from the wall and i want to see if is feasible to put a hole in thats big enough to take a 50mm waste pipe

Can someone advise what the correct calculation and rules are for putting a hole in a joist or where i can find accurate info for this

Sponsored Links
Technically speaking it's a no; too close to the end of the joist. But I've seen hundreds of waste holes in similar positions that cause no issue. 63x200 joists over a 3m span is well within the joist capacity. If it were mine and I really couldn't get a route elsewhere I'd do it.

My advice is fix 2 pieces of 18mm ply either side, glued and screwed. Make them as big as you can get in. Then core the hole through the joist and ply.

Thanks Jeds will try this
Technically speaking it's a no; too close to the end of the joist. But I've seen hundreds of waste holes in similar positions that cause no issue. 63x200 joists over a 3m span is well within the joist capacity. If it were mine and I really couldn't get a route elsewhere I'd do it.

My advice is fix 2 pieces of 18mm ply either side, glued and screwed. Make them as big as you can get in. Then core the hole through the joist and ply.

Thanks for the reply Jeds, Will try this.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back