Drilling in to walls with Quartz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I'm having a slightly problem putting up a set of curtain rails.

It would appear that the walls that were used to construct the block of flats contains a significant amount of quartz or some thing else that is very hard.

Of the nine wholes required (three for each support) I've only managed to go in more than about 2 cm's on 4 of them (thee in one group, and 1 in another), this obviously isn't enough to be able to put them up :\

The drill bit I'm using a set of Extreme 2 HSS drill bits, I had started with the smallest bit, hoping that the reduced surface area may allow me to get through, however I can't seem to get any where.

Has any one got any suggestions on how I would be able to get these whole's drilled?

I've tried using both a normal hammer drill (cordless), but also and SDS drill to no avail (other than possible really annoying my neighbors).

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming you already tried a masonry bit? What bit did you use with the SDS drill?

Have you tried proper masonry bits? Your HSS will be useful if you hit a steel lintel or beam but in masonry they will just get damaged. Hss are for wood and metal only, you need tct tips.

Sponsored Links
You are drilling for a curtain rail.

So there is likely to be either a reinforced concrete, or a steel lintel above the window (unless you drill 300mm or more above it)

To get through the plaster, use your Masonry drill (the one with the square bit brazed into the end) of a size that a brown plasplug will easily go into.

Then use a torch and squint into the hole, poke at it, decide if it is steel or concrete inside.

If steel, use your HSS drill next.

If RC, use your masonry drill.

The wrong drill will not go through the wrong material

If you can't see, make a bigger hole (you can fill it later) so you can look inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back