Drilling into a window recess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just moved into a new flat, want to put some blinds up and find that my masonry drill makes no impression once through the plaster. I assume that there is a concrete lintel above the window which is causing the problem. I'm using the same (admittedly old) drill bit that I used to drill into brickwork recently, attached to my hammer action cordless drill.
I can borrow an old corded drill, but I fear that it's the drill bit that is the problem. Is there a special drill bit which I need for this job?

Sponsored Links
Assuming that it's a re-inforced concrete lintel then you'll probably need a SDS drill. If, on the other hand, it's a steel lintel then an HSS twist drill will be the way to go

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Just to say, my sds drill struggled with a concrete lintel until I invested in some DeWalt bits. Then it went through it like it wasn't there.

Personally, I don't find DW bits any better or worse than any of the other major drill manufacturers (e.g. Heller, Bosch, Milwaukee, Rawl, etc). Still better than stuff like Silverline or ToolPak, however. 3- and 4-flute designs generally drill faster than conventional 2-flute ones

To be fair, I didn't do a full test, but my old bits were the ones that came with the drill, so poor quality and blunt.

The Bosch ones I have are very good quality. Cheap bits in an SDS are a false economy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back