Drilling 16mm hole into redbrick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill a 16mm hole in brickwork. Now today I was drilling 8mm holes in the very same brickwork using my corded 400W Bosch hammer drill and made little or no impact so ended up having to drill into the mortar instead to attach a bracket.

My next little job involves having to drilling into this brickwork. My question is can I get diamond tipped bits that will allow me to drill 16mm holes with my existing drill (max shank size it will take is 10mm) or am I going to have to hire a larger drill. If I do have to hire what kind of bit should I use so I can get through this brick?

Sponsored Links
As JBR says - get a SDS drill and bits - A "hammer"" drill is a relic of Barry Bucknell DIY;) and only fit for rotary drilling. There are loads of suitable SDS drills available for not much £, and just for DIY they'll last for years. Buy one.

SDS is your best bet - get a cheapy one if its not going to be used frequently - a 6kg one with rotary stop is a useful tool to have. One thing to not skimp on however is a safety clutch - the cheapest ones on screwfix (energer) dont seem to have them but this one does: http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/97533

The clutch is critical if you're using larger diameter bits or cores - they help if the bit/core gets jammed e.g.

With an SDS that can fling you off a ladder or break bones in your arm etc.

Sponsored Links
Well I consider myself educated now super helpful.

Special thanks to Chud for the drill recommendation I'm going to buy it as soon as. Loved the youtube clip :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back