Drilling into brick through render (I don't have x-ray eyes!!!!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to install a nice extendable awning on my wall above some lovely new decking. Having found the kind of awning I want, looking at the installation PDF online I need to drill into the brick and not mortar for a secure fixing. The issue I have is my outside walls have lovely new monocouche render, so I can't see the bricks and mortar.

So my only thought is to drill small exploratory holes?

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Those awnings can impose a substantial lateral load on a wall- be wary (there's an article on here somewhere about a gable end wall being collapsed by one, though think that was a big cantilevered thing).
Is any of the brickwork visible below the render (so you can see what height each course is and where the perps are)- if you can then it's tape measure and plumb line time and hope the brickies were good. Test holes would work but drill them where they'll be covered by your awning batten or framework or whatever- test holes also won't tell you how near the edge of a brick you are.

I must admit when I first started looking at them I thought to myself that the load on the brackets would be very high. Especially as some of these awnings extend out a good 2 or 3 meters. My entire wall is rendered and there are no bricks visible. I may look around to see if there are alternatives...

In some locations the wind loading has to be considered as well. The force from wind against the awning can be several times the firce due to the weight of the awning

Sponsored Links
In some locations the wind loading has to be considered as well. The force from wind against the awning can be several times the firce due to the weight of the awning

The force of the wind has nothing to do with the weight of the awning.

awning lift.jpg

He's inserting an imaginary comma between 'firce' (sic) and 'due'. If you read the sentence straight through without the imaginary comma then it is grammatically odd but factually correct.

That looks like the wind load is cancelling the weight load, so the thing will just float there. o_O

if its a newish build then will prob be blockwork so less joints
we have fitted a few of the in the past and have aways put extra ties in with heli coils and resin

Hopefully, the awning brackets can be used to hide the exploratory holes that you make. But you may be close to the edge of a brick, so think about using a resin fixing with a stainless steel rod, and then run a nut and washer onto the threaded rod.

When it sunny, open the awning, and when the sun goes in, and the wind comes up, close it down. If the weathers too windy - no matter how sunny it is - I can't see anyone sitting under the awning.

Sponsored Links
Back