drilling into Imperativ wall panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally got my kitchen painted (yeh), and now I'm putting up a splashback on the wall behind the dish rack so I can fix a cutlery holder and cup rack (both stainless steel from Ikea) to the wall.

The splashback is an Imperativ panel from Ikea. It's listed as being made of Tempered glass, Nitrocellulose glazing paint

I thought it was stainless steel.

I've stuck it to the wall with silocne, and now need to attach the cutlery holder, cup rack and a stainless steel towel rail to the splashback.

So my questions are:

Can I drill through splashback into the wall, all with the same drill bit?

Would I be better to stick the cup rack to the wall and put the drill bit into the predrilled hole in the cup holder, to stop in from slipping about on the surface of the splashback, or just go the masking tape route?

Sponsored Links
In case anyone has the same question. I tried a masonary drill bit, just dented the surface. SoI bought a tile drill bit and that did the trick

Just a follow up to the previous reply, I would use masking tape and also rotate the chuck with the tile drill by hand to break the glaze/paint. This will prevent the drill from slipping and making a nice scratch across the surface.

Sponsored Links
I did use masking tape and this helped, did not think to rotate by hand though, good tip

Oh and I would never get this agin, it marks very easily

It looks good, but doesnt seem very practical in a kitchen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back