hole in the "wall" idea! - fixing a splashback on a bowed wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I have a problem with the splashback behind my gas hob. The wall bows out so that the glass panel is raised (pushed away from the wall) by about 1cm all round the edges. This looks unsightly and reduces an already very small gap between back of hob and panel, making cleaning difficult; also the gap means that dust, insects etc can get in behind the panel. So I plan to replace the glass splashback with a stainless steel one – this will look better .. I had hoped to be able to pull it/stick it/screw it flush but I am advised that a steel panel cannot be so ‘warped’ so here is my plan:
the wall is breeze on brick with plasterboard dabbed on (gap of about 4cm – not sure if battens are used .. but behind the splashback area seems to be just air thankfully) ~ I intend to cut out a central rectangle of plasterboard, to within roughly 5cm of the splashback edge – then using grab adhesive the panel will be flush on all the edges and also be flat – job done‼
Can anyone see why this might be an undesirable solution? Effectively I am replacing plasterboard with steel and mdf .. I can’t see any issue so long as I ensure that the seal is airtight so brick dust doesn’t blow through to the kitchen.
Thanks for any advice as this seems rather unusual!

Sponsored Links
I think your plan is nuts. Why not just use tiles and the problem will not occur. You can get stainless steel or glass tiles.

Sheet glass splashbacks and the like only work where the walls lend themselves to the product.

Freddie .. that's a great suggestion - I had no idea that ss tiles existed! the designer never checked the walls and the installer essentially left me with this problem so I've been scratching my head with no suggestions from them so thanks v.much for your help. This may well be the route I will take.
However the single splash back will, I believe, look better so back to my 'nuts' idea before I ditch it completely - is it feasible or is there some possible hidden problem that I haven't thought of? I am pretty certain that there are no cables/pipes in the cavity so it will be a quick job to run a jigsaw round.

no the ideas not nuts, it would work, but once you cut the square of plasterboard away fix some batons to the wall so you have more area to fix the splash back rather than just on the edges.

Sponsored Links
The only Nutter is the one who managed to get a bend like that in a dot+dab wall - they should be immured behind one;)

The conclusion ...
IT WORKED !!
Pictures attached - first two show the severity of the problem. It hasn't actually taken 2 weeks .. I had some other stuff to sort out around the kitchen before reaching this final stage!
had to be careful of the gas pipe. By cutting exploratory holes getting bigger and bigger it is quite easy to see behind the board for the next 'safe' cut - it really doesn't take that long. Removed emulsion and sealed plaster with PVA to give a strong bond and set up temporary fixings to hold tight whilst setting. There weren't actually any problems and I would recommend this solution to others who have the same issue. Kazuya's idea is an important add on to ensure strength and stability across the whole panel.

Attachments

• splashback against bowed wall - the hole show!.pdf
    418.2 KB · Views: 559
Last edited:
OP,

Well done, it looks great. Done with care and caution.

My only ... whatever ... is the horrors and narrow escapes that DIY'ers can expose themselves to eg. the channeled gas pipe - just for safety most pro's would have looked under the hob to see whats what with any pipe or cable. Apparently you didn't but came out lucky anyway. Good job.

I knew the pipe was probably in there somewhere, possibly cables as well (my detector doesn't seem to work at all well on dabbed plasterboard walls).. it became quite obvious as I did my exploratory piece by piece removal and checking with a torch and fingers (and bits of wood, to measure clearances) - yes care was needed!

Great, i'm glad that all's well that ends well.

For info: i cap all channeled cables and pipes with metal capping - even when they are run in safety zones.

Detectors will pick up the metal capping in most situations but by and large i'm cautious about detector results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back