Unable to fix steel splashback to kitchen wall

yot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am trying to fix a 900x750mm 1.2mm thick stainless steel splashback to a kitchen wall behind the cooker and under the extractor. I am using a clear silicone based adhesive and follow youtube's instructions (which all seem to be dead simple; all the splashbacks are magically sticking to the wall on their own). The splashback rests on the kitchen counter. The wall is - I don't know exactly what - but I think it's plasterboard with some kind of smooth coating. I do not want to drill in the splashback and the wall.

Right. So I did this for the first time about three hours ago and it came off a few minutes ago without much effort, just by pulling by hand (I noticed a bulge in the middle section where clearly the splashback got unstuck from the wall).

Is my adhesive wrong? Do I need to put a huge amount of it on the splashback? How long is it supposed to dry? Do I need to keep applying pressure to the splashback for a long time (I only did it for a couple of minutes immediately after pressing it to the wall)? Do I have to remove the old adhesive before putting a new portion of it when I try the next time?

Any hints and tips would be appreciated...
yot

Sponsored Links
YOU need to allow at least 24 hours for it to adhere, if silicon sealer does not work then no nails or a similar product probably will, but again it will take time to cure.

Hi,

thanks! however, the main issue here that after a few hours after application, the splashback did not hold to the wall - I could clearly feel the bulge in the middle of the surface. Only then I realized it may come off and just pull it off the wall. And none of the videos I watched seem to suggest that one needs to keep applying pressure to the splashaback during curation.

yot

Are you striping the sealant on the back, any circles would trap air a prevent good adhesion.
You could also use a double sided tape around the edge, [heat resistant is available, I have used to fix an oven glass to an oven door]

Sponsored Links
You could try something like Sticks like S*** or the Nemesis stuff from Screwfix but if it's likely to get properly hot (thereby needing a proper silicone) then I'd look at the dow corning product selector.

You could rough up the back of the s/s & the wall itself.
I use silicone to fix soap trays, rather than drill.
Have you degreased the s/s?

Well, I've done it. Thanks to all for replies. After the initial fiasco we removed the adhesive from the splashback and the wall and applied both No More Nails and a double sided tape around the edges. We also built some contraption that was pressing a little bit the splashback to the wall and didn't touch it for 28 hours. It hasn't fallen off yet :)

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back