Splashback advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to decide what to put in my kitchen, do not really want tiles want something a bit more modern. I have been thinking a splashback but can find any solid advice. So thought I would ask here.

1) Any advice on acrylic splashback, pro cons and do they scratch easy?

2) Can you use acrylic behind a hod (gas). Guessing no

3) Glass splashbacks are very expensive anyone had any good results with getting glass cut to use as a splashback and then painting the wall to chosen colour then fitting splashback.

4) Does the glass look dirty as it hard to clean ? so I have read

Do not want tiles but cannot find any positives about anything else apart from look good but hard to maintain.

Any views on this to help me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get them to match you worktop or a variety of finishes in laminate covered mdf.
For coloured glass you normally have the glass sprayed on the reverse side .

AND if you choose glass, make sure it's TOUGHENED glass... not the Cr@p from the DIY Sheds...

ATB,J.

Sponsored Links
3) Glass splashbacks are very expensive anyone had any good results with getting glass cut to use as a splashback and then painting the wall to chosen colour then fitting splashback.

4) Does the glass look dirty as it hard to clean ? so I have read
We got a glazier to knock up pieces of safety glass (with ground edges to avoid cuts!) according to our specs. We then painted the back of the glass with the same paint as the walls since we were concerned that water ingress might lead to unsightly mould stains (they may be there, but at least we don't know :LOL: ). We used spring mirror clips to hold in place which means that if we ever want to redecorate, we can remove the glass, scrape the paint off and repeat the process.

Works pretty well to be honest.

1) Any advice on acrylic splashback, pro cons and do they scratch easy?
Yes! Better quality worktops, such as Egger, Bushboard, etc., can often supply laminate backsplashes to match the worktop. These are supplied ready-bonded onto an MDF backer about 6mm thick. One thing about either of theses approaches is that you ideally need to ensure that the wall behind the worktop is fairly smooth, straight and plumb or the result can look awful and the joints will be a nightmare to deal with

2) Can you use acrylic behind a hod (gas). Guessing no
Correct

Why not degrease the back of the glass and paint that instead (with a suitable protective coat on top of the colour coat). That's the technique used by traditional signwriters on shop windows (or it was before vinyl came in). A good cleaner is made using meths and ground whiting - avoid Windowlene or anything containing ammonia as those materials will eventually cause the paint to glass bond to fail. Use a high solids oil based paint, if possible something like signwriters paints. This also works on acrylic sheet, although a translucent coloured acrylic might be a better choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back