Metal splashback - earth bonding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m about to install brushed aluminium splashbacks in my kitchen which, the big stickers on the face tell me, need earth bonding.

This being the case, would the earthed metal faceplates of the sockets that will fit flush against the face of the splashbacks in effect create the required bond or should I run in a separate earth? (Incidentally, the splashbacks will run the full length of the worktops – none of the socket outlets are too close to the sink or hob).

Currently the knockouts housing the socket outlets are all 25mm. I was going to replace these with 35’s and dig around a bit so that the front edge of the box will be flush with the face of the splashback (8mm thickness). Am I making a rod for my own back? Is it acceptable to keep the 25mm boxes and have a gap between the sockets and the front edge of the box, sealed as they will be by the cut out in the splashback?

Incidental to all this - the last I heard kitchens didn’t require supplementary bonding for appliances/sinks etc. Is this still the case - or did all the rules change while I was out of the room...or was I misinformed in the first place?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back