Stainless Splashback Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of the kitchen re-modeling we are popping in some stainless splashbacks, two of them have socket cutouts in.

My question is do they require earth bonding as they have sockets it them as there is the potential, albeit small, for the splashback to become live.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I had hoped you'd pick up on the hint- circuits protected by RCD or by individual RCBO would be technically the better option.

I had hoped you'd pick up on the hint- circuits protected by RCD or by individual RCBO would be technically the better option.

If you look at the time I posted, we must have hit submit at the same time, hence me "not picking up the hint"

I would bond the splash back

If a fault connection develops between Live and an un-bonded splashback then the splash back becomes a large area of Live metal work. The fault connection may be damaged insulation, dampness or other means. As the splash back is not bonded there will be no effective route from the splashback to earth for a fault current to flow so the RCD will not see un-balance while the splash back is live.

Only when there is a path to earth from the splash back will there be un-balance in the circuit to possibly trip the RCD. If that path is a human body with one hand on the splash back and the other hand on an earthed appliance then one hopes the current through the body is less than fatal and enough to trip the RCD

Sorry lost PC connection, as my previous post guidelines require no supp bonding in kitchens, but it is a large area with the potential to come live. So if in doubt bond it.

A splashback with cutouts for electrical sockets - really?

I would bond the splash back

If a fault connection develops between Live and an un-bonded splashback then the splash back becomes a large area of Live metal work. The fault connection may be damaged insulation, dampness or other means. As the splash back is not bonded there will be no effective route from the splashback to earth for a fault current to flow so the RCD will not see un-balance while the splash back is live.

Only when there is a path to earth from the splash back will there be un-balance in the circuit to possibly trip the RCD. If that path is a human body with one hand on the splash back and the other hand on an earthed appliance then one hopes the current through the body is less than fatal and enough to trip the RCD

I agree with bernardgreen, if the stainless will be forming part of the enclosure for electrical accessories it will be an exposed conductive part.
Exposed conductive parts must be bonded.
There is no need to supplementary bond extraneous conductive parts in a kitchen such as water pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back