Earthing a stainless steel splashback in a kitchen

salihtas said:
The kitchen is 5m long, all along one wall of the house. The plan is for the whole wall to be covered in the steel. There will be sockets fitted into the steel, the same size as the boxes. All cabling is in conduit and buried an inch deep into the wall.
The same piece of steel will also be the splash back for the sink and cooker but there are no socket anywhere near these fixtures.
I agree that there will be a metal surface close to the cables feeding the terminals in the sockets. Any more advice folks. I'm really crap at tiling;)

That being the case, the steel plates, I assume it will be more than one if that size, should be bonded to the earth terminals of the nearest sockets and the individual plates should be electrically bonded together.

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
salihtas said:
The kitchen is 5m long, all along one wall of the house. The plan is for the whole wall to be covered in the steel. There will be sockets fitted into the steel, the same size as the boxes. All cabling is in conduit and buried an inch deep into the wall.
The same piece of steel will also be the splash back for the sink and cooker but there are no socket anywhere near these fixtures.
I agree that there will be a metal surface close to the cables feeding the terminals in the sockets. Any more advice folks. I'm really crap at tiling;)

That being the case, the steel plates, I assume it will be more than one if that size, should be bonded to the earth terminals of the nearest sockets and the individual plates should be electrically bonded together.

Unless things have changed since i last did a refresher couse you weren't allowed to bond from a CPC but had to use a seperate earth bond back to the CU earthing point, is this not the case anymore FWL?

kendor thats for main equipotential bonding of incomeing services

the main reason for earthing this splashback is that with sockets installed in it it is effectively exposed conductive part of the sockets so it should be earthed to the earths of the sockets mounted in it

plugwash said:
kendor thats for main equipotential bonding of incomeing services

the main reason for earthing this splashback is that with sockets installed in it it is effectively exposed conductive part of the sockets so it should be earthed to the earths of the sockets mounted in it
Sorry Plug that was not what i was saying, As far as im aware any bonding throughout the building must terminate back to the CU and not come off of a CPC( a CPC is exactly that, NOT an earth bond or earth bond termination point).
He did mention that the sockets would be nowhere near the splashback and therefore are not being mounted on it, Even if he was mounting sockets onto it then i would prefer that the sockets were plastic not metalclad in this instance and that the screws were isolated from the splashback into a mounting box behind so that the splashback was purely bonded (by it's seperate earth bond) and not connected directly to the sockets earth CPC .
Another point is the term "Splashback" suggests that sockets shouldn't be mounted onto it in the first place.

Oh and Equipotential bonding doesn't just cover the incoming services alone

Sponsored Links
Kendor, it is NOT main bonding, it is simply bonding extraneous conductive parts to a confirmed earth source.

This is not different to the Earthing advocated in bathrooms.

FWL_Engineer said:
Kendor, it is NOT main bonding, it is simply bonding extraneous conductive parts to a confirmed earth source.

This is not different to the Earthing advocated in bathrooms.
Im not saying anything about main bonding i was merely stating the difference between earthing and bonding,

Plug mentioned incoming services so i was replying to that.

Supplementary bonding is the term of what i was talking about originally and this must still find it's way back to the main earth terminal continuity wise through a seperate earth bond path and not just tagging onto the nearest CPC otherwise it's just an extension of the CPC and technically can it still be called bonding as such, is this not correct anymore? That was the question i posed originally.

As far as im aware any bonding throughout the building must terminate back to the CU and not come off of a CPC( a CPC is exactly that, NOT an earth bond or earth bond termination point).

Ken, I was basing my comments on this part of your post. If you take a bond back to the Consumer Unit from a point in an installation it is classed as a main bonding conductor.

The point I was trying to make was that this is not required by the Regs, the metalwork is classed as extraneous usually, however there is an argument that it is also exposed conductive parts as sockets will be mounted onto it, either way, it can be bonded to the earth terminal of a socket as this provides an adequate and viable earth connection.

I'll have to read up on this as i'm still in disagreement about mixing of bonding and circuit protective conductors

kendor said:
I'll have to read up on this as i'm still in disagreement about mixing of bonding and circuit protective conductors

Perhaps you should buy the latest On Site Guide, this is how the bonding in bathrooms is accomplished, and what could be better than this type of connection?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back