earthing a stainless steel sink with plastic pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a stainless steel kitchen sink in a new extension with plastic supply piping. Do I still need to earth the sink?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
smashing thank you - Building control reckoned I did but we thought not! Don't suppose anyone knows the regulation so I can throw it back to building control........ ;)

The regs are what needs to be done, not what you don't need to do. If you want to you need to ask them which reg requires the bonding of a kitchen sink.

It used to be a requirement in the 15th edition of the wiring regs, but we are now on the 17th edition (although it seems your BCO isn't) :LOL:

I've seen this countless times in the last couple/three years, ever since I left my own employ.

I am finding sinks bonded, even though that old requirement from the 15th was dropped come 1991...

In fact, I came across one install, a refurb done in 2005. The guy had used an RCD incomer board & bonded the sink by trapping the 10mm² under a plastic tap hole blank & nut: really tacky & 100% ineffective!

It was with a wry smile that I told the householder the builder's spark had rewired his house in 2005 according to an edition of the regulations first introduced in 1981....!!

The householder immediately picked up the phone to the builder, then his solicitor...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back