Earthing/bonding the kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

is it neccessary to bond a stainless steel kitchen sink from what I have read elseware it is not necessary.

Can anyone confirm this?

Why do i ask - well I live in a new build house wired by NICEIC firm and both my sinks are earthed- sort of - to a plastic screw!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also do you need to bond where an electric immersion is? ie to the switch terminal and the pipes - copper of course.

Sponsored Links
no you dont need to bond kitchen sinks anymore

the other bonding could be supplymentary bonding for the bathroom because the bathroom needs to have supplymentary bonding to all the pipework, metal bath and any electrical circuit contained in there

Hi

Thanks for a fast response

The other bonding is not in or near a bathroom FYI - so is it neccessary?

that could be part of the bathroom bonding its there for a reason so its best to just leave it alone

Sponsored Links
Hi again

I didn't intend on altering any bonding, just trying to understand the reasoning behind it - its miles from the bathroom (not literally) relatively

no you dont need to bond kitchen sinks anymore

If this is the case why was it once done? and why is it not anymore?

Thanks............... anyone :?: :confused: [/quote]

There are still plenty of sparkies in this town working to a conglomerate of 15th and 16th edition and a few ideas of their own thrown in. I come across kitchen bonding all the time. I just keep my mouth shut, only a dumb plumber as far as they know.

It was once done as it was deemed "necessary". However, the theory now is that if it is present, it may create parallel earth paths which can actually be more dangerous than there being no supplementary present.

Thanks -

I had a look in my mates rented flat - and to comply with a test required for the council - the company that did the test have joined up the hot water cylinder hot and cold pipes and the kitchen sink!!!!!!!!!!!! with earth wire
After having failed the flat and charging big bucks - for what seems unecessary work.

all very recently

Funny old game electrical work

Concils are getting too much power.

Over on the plumbing side some local council has banned slotting joists for pipework. That's all very well for plastic but what about us craftsmen that use copper. I suppose the council won't have any problems with me using plastic for my gas then.

Other option (to having multiple joints out of reach) is to drill a hole in the outside wall and pass your pipe along through that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back