Drilling into stone wall for a wood baton..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house walls are a nightmare, l need to put up a wooden baton so l can attach a curtain pole to it but the walls are concrete stones.
l've tried masonry drill bits but they do not drill straight and go blunt leaving a bigger hole.
Masonry nails just bend and glue is no good for the weight needed to hang curtains from the wood pole.
So any ideas what l could do or of any drill bit/ nails that will do the job...

Sponsored Links
i'm a DIYer.. but concrete can easily be drilled accurately..might be worth spending some money on decent drill bits rather than budget rubbish though...

:confused: I wonder if you mean stone, or concrete, or blocks? There will usually be a reinforced concrete or steel lintel above a window, typically 7 inches high. This is always difficult to drill into. Consider going higher.

if you do manage do make a hole, doesn't matter if it is too wide, provided it is deep enough.

clean out the dust and loose material, put the nozzle of a no-more-nails or similar adhesive tube or gun deep into the hole (so it fills from the back with no air pocket), withdraw the nozzle as you fill. Press a Plasplug into the soft adhesive, deep and straight. use a screw a few turns into the plug as a handle. Press it slightly below the level of the plaster, smooth it off with a wet finger, and leave overnight to set.

the next day, you can screw into it and the plug will not loosen, turn or fall out.

this is the best new DIY tip I have learned in 20 years.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back