Fixing wooden baton to wall for curtain rail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just found this website - it looks very useful.

I am looking to fix a wooden baton 2" x 1" to a wall above a window, and then screw the curtain rail into the wood. This is to save me trying to drill into the lintel above the window.

The questions are as follows:-

1) I am looking to stick the wood with an adhesive such as a "No more nails" or gripfill. Would this work? Which product would you suggest? Would one of these products be better for a wood baton for curtains than

2) How long would you have to hold the baton in place to the wall while the adhesive is setting. Because of the nature of the job it would be difficult to hold the baton in place with any sort of clamp or anything, so it would be a manual hold.

3) How long thereafter would the baton be left for before screwing the rail in place, and hanging the curtains for best results?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Well I wouldnt trust this fixing. If you are prepared to have a batten screw it, but I wouldnt want a batten UNLESS it was to be decorative.

I think that the batten would pull off fairly quickly in use. Curtain rods, etc need to be screwed to the wall (or a batten which in turn is screwed to the wall) as they can be subject to some heavy loads when the curtain is drawn open or closed

Scrit

If you're worried about drilling into the lintel (it can be done!) then you could use a rather longer batten, and a couple of long screws into the wall at each end, then secure the central part as best you can.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Come on, don't use a batten - it'll look like dog s**t.

Well there's a thoughtful, considered, professional opinion.

Scrit said:
oilman said:
gcol said:
Come on, don't use a batten - it'll look like dog s**t.

Well there's a thoughtful, considered, professional opinion.

Note the articulate and considered alternative solutions proferred......
Erm, you gave the correct solution previously Scrit so I didn't feel the need to repeat it. Do you think I'm wrong when I say that curtain rails looks dog **** when fitted to battens?

Depends what the battens look like. Personally I prefer wooden poles (but who says I have any taste), but I've even made MDF pelmets when customers have asked for them - and I think they're horrible things in the wrong house, too. I've also done battens, although I do try to chamferor round the edges to make them look less severe and use a polished hardwood - that way you're hopefully making a virtue out of a necessity.

Scrit

Just get a decent drill and bits, and you can drill into the lintel. Hire one if necessary. Actually I prefer the lintel problem to hanging rails on plasterboard walls, as the little fixings that come with the curtain rails are always smaller than the diameter of the blimmin rawlplug, so the latter show.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back