Drilling my stupid walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is my first post. really need some help as the walls in my house are driving me crazy. When ever I need to drill them I have nothing but problems. They are made from what I can only describe as pebbles and concrete. Once I have drilled through the layer of plaster, the problems start. trying to drill any further is impossible, or at least it has been so far. Most times I hit one of the pebbles and the drill skips like crazy. If I can get a straight hole, I can never get it deep enough. I've lost count if the number of drill bits I have ruined. Anyone advice on this would be appreciated.

Craig :D

Sponsored Links
Either hire or buy an SDS+ Drill and a couple of SDS+ drill bits to put in it. Shouldn't have the problem of drilling into the walls ever again. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Either hire or buy an SDS+ Drill and a couple of SDS+ drill bits to put in it. Shouldn't have the problem of drilling into the walls ever again. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Did think of trying a SDS drill, ill give it a go. Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem in a previous house...

Only way I found to do it is tedious is to overdrill a great big hole, splash some PVA into the hole then fill with epoxy resin and then drill your proper hole into that.

if you can make a hole which is big enough and deep enough, but too loose for the plasplug, put a nomorenails nozzle deep into the hole, so it fills from the back. Press your plasplug into position (use a screw a few turns into the plug as a handle) and leave it overnight for the adhesive to set. the next day you can drive your screw into thhe plug and it will grip well without wobbling or coming loose.

clean dust out of the hole first.

this is a very cheap and easy method which is also good in soft or crumbly walls.

Getting the hole to correct depth is a real problem. As once through the plaster the drill just wont go any deeper. Goes every other way though. :LOL:

It sounds as if the inner walls are concrete, best way to go is SDS, there still may be a problem with concrete if it is reinforced, the drill will then skip off the re-bar. If this is the case you will need to either move the hole position away from the re-bar or you will be able to drill the re-bar using a HSS drill bit.

I have exactly the same walls (no-fines concrete) and can confirm that:

1. A normal hammer drill is a waste of time

2. A SDS+ goes through the walls as if they were butter :D

"normal" hammer drills are only fit for boot sales ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back