Drilling Perspex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drill 10mm perspex with a base drill.
Is there a drill bit made specifically for drilling perspex?
If so, a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i've always used a decent sharp hss bit. Probably an idea to put masking tape where you're going to drill to stop the drill skidding and start with a pilot hole, gradually getting bigger.

There are long fluted drills for drilling plastics, they should be available from a good tool outlet...Not B&Q but places like Buck & Hickman or Cromwells, you may have to order them as I would think they would not be general stock. Keep your speed down otherwise you will start t o burn or melt the plastic. cool the drill regularly otherwise you will end up drilling large or chasnge the properties of the plastic making it brittle around the hole which could at a later stage fracture.
Try this site:- www.diydata.com/tool/drillbits/drillbits.php & http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/pdf/Dilling Plastic.pdf

Sponsored Links
ivor - acrylic becomes soft & pliable around 165° so one thing to do when drilling is to apply coolant otherwise friction heat will soften the plakka. The material is also brittle so good support is required when machining, also clamping the sheet down to to prevent it riding up the drill flutes is critical otherwise cracking/shattering/grabbing could occur.

Twist drills (Jobbers) can be used but for 'good' work' you should use a drill designed for the purpose; a slow spiral on the flutes, a small rake angle and a point about 130° - keep speeds high and feeds low. A decent engineers merchant will supply. Bigger sizes holes consider using a router cutter in your drill press, again coolant, slow feed, light cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back