How to prevent a boiler being turned off at night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to stop an aged relative turning his boiler off at night.

It's a Worcester 24CDi and is controlled by a programmable thermostat which is set to 22 degrees during the day and 16 degrees overnight.
The boiler is being either/both turned off at the boiler and/or the temperature of the heating on the boiler is being turned to the minimum.
Is there a any way to prevent this.

I have thought of attaching an A4 piece of perspex to cover these dials but this would involve drilling holes into the front cover of the boiler to attach the perspex using small bolts. Would it be safe to do this ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Just a thought but is it possible to get a frost stat (normally set at just above freezing) wired in out of sight set to a high temp like 16deg. They normally over ride the controls, unless the main power supply switch is turned off.

The frost stat is a good idea, but then the aged may turn the switch off. Can be defeated using a key switchh for the supply to the boiler. ( key kept where a boiler service man can find it without having to ask the aged. )

Hi footprints
thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought about using the frost stat. It would solve half of the problem but unfortunately would not get the temperature up to 22 in the morning

Thanks again

Tony

Sponsored Links
The frost stat is a good idea, but then the aged may turn the switch off. Can be defeated using a key switchh for the supply to the boiler. ( key kept where a boiler service man can find it without having to ask the aged. )

Hi Bernard

thanks for the reply, an MK secret switch has already been fitted to prevent the mains being turned off

Tony

Provide a decoy switch. It can have a neon indicator if you like, and be marked "night" and "day."

Outa curiosity why are you trying to stop him turn heating off.

Provide a decoy switch. It can have a neon indicator if you like, and be marked "night" and "day."
Thanks JohnD for the reply, but he would still know that the boiler was on and turn it off at the boiler.

What about a 'hive' so that the control is in your hands?

Andy
Hi Andy, thanks for the reply, I don't think a Hive would work as he would still turn off the boiler and he would also turn off his router (I don't know if Hive works via internet or 3g)

Hi easyflow, it's because he turns off the boiler at night it means it's cold when he gets up in the morning.

Well yes but it seems he don,t want the heating to come on in the morning what ever reason and surely its his decision.
My dads the same he never uses a timer, just turns it on and off as and when.

Hi easyflow, it's because he turns off the boiler at night it means it's cold when he gets up in the morning.

Well yes but it seems he don,t want the heating to come on in the morning what ever reason and surely its his decision.
My dads the same he never uses a timer, just turns it on and off as and when.
He does want the heating on in the morning, the problem is that he is obsessed with turning everything off at night.

If I can physically stop him from turning off the boiler he will get used to it being left on overnight.
Would it be safe to bolt a perspex panel to the metal boiler cover which to cover the on/off and the radiator temperature switches?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back